EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

7-Eleven to replace CEO in Couche-Tard takeover battle: reports

David Peterson by David Peterson
March 3, 2025
in Other
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
0
35
SHARES
436
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Canada's Alimentation Couche-Tard. ©AFP

Tokyo (AFP) – 7-Eleven’s owner is set to replace its CEO as the Japanese convenience store giant battles a $47-billion takeover bid by Canada’s Alimentation Couche-Tard (ACT), reports said Monday. Last week Seven & i said its founding family failed to put together a buyout to fend off ACT’s offer, which would be the largest foreign acquisition of a Japanese firm.

Related

Tourists in Thailand plan for coming cuts to visa-free stays

Top UN court to rule on right to strike

Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes, Samsung union talks

SpaceX, the sprawling company targeting the stars, Mars and an IPO

The world built more coal power in 2025, but used less

Japan’s Nikkei business daily and other media reported that Seven & i’s president Ryuichi Isaka would be replaced by outside director Stephen Hayes Dacus. Dacus, who has also worked for Uniqlo owner Fast Retailing and the Japanese arm of US retail giant Walmart, would also be Seven & i’s first foreign CEO. A formal decision will be made at a board meeting, the reports said, citing sources familiar with the matter.

Dacus currently heads a special committee tasked with evaluating ACT’s bid, which the Canadian firm has already sweetened. Dacus and the committee are expected over the next few weeks to unveil strategic proposals to increase the company’s value ahead of an annual shareholder meeting in May, the Financial Times reported.

“There have been reports in some news media regarding the management of Seven & i,” the company said in a statement. “However, this information was not announced by the Company and no decision has been made by the Company at this time,” it said.

Seven & i shares soared as much as 12 percent on Thursday on news that the company’s founding Ito family had failed to put together financing for its alternative offer. On Monday they rose as much as 4.6 percent and closed up 2.37 percent.

With around 85,000 outlets, 7-Eleven is the world’s biggest convenience store brand. The franchise began in the United States, but it has been wholly owned by Seven & i since 2005. ACT, which began with one store in Quebec in 1980, now runs nearly 17,000 convenience store outlets worldwide including the Circle K chain.

ACT said on Friday that it still hoped to achieve a “friendly agreement.” In September, when Seven & i rejected the initial takeover offer from ACT, the company said it had “grossly” undervalued its business and could face regulatory hurdles.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: acquisitionJapanretail
Share14Tweet9Share2Pin3Send
Previous Post

AI, trade tensions mark Barcelona mobile industry meet

Next Post

European defence stocks soar as govts ramp up military spend

David Peterson

David Peterson

Related Posts

Other

Musk eyes Wall Street record with SpaceX IPO

May 20, 2026
Other

Ubisoft counts cost of restructuring with record annual loss

May 20, 2026
Other

Mideast war drives up bond yields, budget risk

May 20, 2026
Other

Colosseum selfies, ‘Melody’ toffee and trade: Modi visits Rome

May 20, 2026
Other

Iran says US wants to ‘start new war’ after Trump threat

May 20, 2026
Other

UK eases sanctions on Russian jet fuel and diesel imports

May 20, 2026
Next Post

European defence stocks soar as govts ramp up military spend

Eurozone inflation eases slightly in February

Wearable tech has far to go before challenging smartphones

EU proposes emission rule delay to spare carmakers from fines

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

97

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Tourists in Thailand plan for coming cuts to visa-free stays

May 21, 2026

Samsung shareholders vow legal action over tentative union deal

May 21, 2026

Top UN court to rule on right to strike

May 21, 2026

Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes, Samsung union talks

May 21, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.