EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

X appeals EU’s 120-mn-euro fine over digital content violations

Natalie Fisher by Natalie Fisher
February 20, 2026
in Other
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
2
21
SHARES
257
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

X was the target of the EU's first ever probe under stricter online content rules in December 2023. ©AFP

Brussels (Belgium) (AFP) – Elon Musk’s X social media platform said Friday that it had filed an appeal with the European Union’s top court against a 120-million-euro ($142 million) fine for breaking its digital content rules. The European Commission imposed the penalty in December for violations including breaching its transparency obligation, triggering an angry reaction in the United States.

Related

Stocks volatile after soft US growth data, court ruling against tariffs

US GDP growth misses expectations as Trump blames shutdown

‘Alpha male’ AI world shuts out women: computing prof Hall

European stocks rebound, oil prices ease after US-Iran volatility

Victorious Takaichi promises ‘strong and prosperous’ Japan

X said it filed an appeal at the General Court of the EU challenging the fine by the commission, which acts as the EU’s digital watchdog. The fine was the first ever under the bloc’s landmark Digital Services Act (DSA), which has come under fierce attack in the United States, including claims that it allows censorship. X on Friday denounced what it called the EU’s “incomplete and superficial investigation”.

Its global government affairs team said on the platform that the EU’s probe included “grave procedural errors, a tortured interpretation of the obligations under the DSA, and systematic breaches of rights of defence and basic due process requirements suggesting prosecutorial bias”. “This landmark case is the first judicial challenge to a DSA fine,” it added. An EU spokesman told AFP the commission was aware of the appeal and “is ready to defend its decision in court”.

– Wider probe –

The EU said last year that X was guilty of breaching the DSA’s transparency obligation as part of an investigation that began in December 2023. The commission also said that X’s breaches included the deceptive design of its “blue checkmark” for supposedly verified accounts, and its failure to provide access to public data for researchers. Musk at the time hit back by saying the EU should be “abolished”. A few weeks later, the US State Department announced sanctions on five individuals including former EU commissioner Thierry Breton. A former top tech regulator at the commission, Breton often clashed with tech tycoons including Musk over their obligations to follow EU rules.

X has frequently been in the EU’s crosshairs. Under the same DSA probe, EU regulators are still investigating how X tackles the spread of illegal content and information manipulation. The first part of the probe had appeared to stall since 2024. Then in January 2026, the EU opened another investigation under the DSA law over its AI chatbot Grok’s generation of sexualised deepfake images of women and minors after an international backlash.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: Digital Services ActElon Musksocial media
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

‘Alpha male’ AI world shuts out women: computing prof Hall

Next Post

Germany’s Merz to visit China next week

Natalie Fisher

Natalie Fisher

Related Posts

Other

Japan inflation eases in welcome news for PM Takaichi

February 19, 2026
Other

Striking Argentine workers clash with police in protest over labor reforms

February 20, 2026
Other

TotalEnergies in high-stakes French trial over climate change

February 19, 2026
Other

Oil extends gains on US-Iran tensions, stocks retreat

February 20, 2026
Other

Airbus ready to build two new European fighters if countries want

February 19, 2026
Other

Private companies seek to import fuel amid Cuban energy crisis

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Germany's Merz to visit China next week

US GDP growth misses expectations as Trump blames shutdown

Stocks volatile after soft US growth data, court ruling against tariffs

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump global tariffs

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

81

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Stocks volatile after soft US growth data, court ruling against tariffs

February 20, 2026

US GDP growth misses expectations as Trump blames shutdown

February 20, 2026

Germany’s Merz to visit China next week

February 20, 2026

X appeals EU’s 120-mn-euro fine over digital content violations

February 20, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.