EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

Dilemma over crossings as fate of Hormuz ships remains uncertain

Natalie Fisher by Natalie Fisher
April 9, 2026
in Economy
Reading Time: 8 mins read
A A
0
60
SHARES
754
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Some 800 ships remain stuck in Gulf waters. ©AFP

**London (AFP)** – Only three ships risked crossing the Strait of Hormuz Wednesday, highlighting the extreme caution about using the key waterway even though both the US and Iran have said the strategic chokepoint would reopen.

Related

US Fed chair says will be ‘reform-oriented’ at glitzy White House swearing-in

From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion

EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China

Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade

German business morale rises for first time since Iran war

**Who is taking the risk?** Apart from the three ships that transited the strait after a two-week ceasefire in the Middle East war was announced overnight, only a handful of other vessels are on course to do the same, according to ship tracking website MarineTraffic. That does not imply a major change, with an average of eight commodities carriers transiting the strait daily since March 1, according to maritime data provider Kpler. More than 800 ships are stuck in the Gulf, according to maritime intelligence company Lloyd’s List Intelligence, and traffic in the strait has fallen by around 95 percent. “Everybody on the shipping side is obviously nervous,” Lloyd’s List editor-in-chief Richard Meade told AFP. For crews who have been stuck for weeks aboard ships, the agreement between the US and Iran is the first sign of hope. “The ceasefire definitely soothes our nerves, hoping it stays this way. The crew is finally taking a breather,” an off-duty captain of a ship, whose crew is stranded off Qatar, told AFP.

**Is it safe?** Leaving the Gulf now “would not be advisable” without coordination with the United States and Iran, Jakob Larsen, chief safety and security officer at shipping association Bimco, told AFP. He was echoing the advice from other shipping industry voices who say the situation is still too uncertain for any major moves. “We still don’t know if the area has really become safe to pass through,” the Japanese Shipowners’ Association told AFP on Wednesday. “There’s been a lot of reference to Iran’s 10-point plan, that needs to be clarified for shipping to be confident enough to go back through those waters,” said John Stawpert, principal director marine at the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS). He was referring to a proposal presented by Iran as a basis for talks with the US, but which a US official said is not the same set of conditions that were agreed to by the White House. The UN’s maritime body (IMO) said on Wednesday that it was working on a mechanism to guarantee “safe transit.” Aside from the risk of venturing into the strait at a time of high tension, a disorderly departure from the Gulf also risks causing collisions or grounding, Meade said.

**What about Tehran’s ‘toll booth’?** It is still unclear whether Iran’s recent system to allow some ships to cross the strait — dubbed the “Tehran Toll Booth” by Lloyd’s List because of reports that ships had to pay for permission to pass — will remain in place. The Iranian 10-point plan reportedly includes “maintaining Iranian control over the Strait of Hormuz.” US President Donald Trump said in a social media post that Iran has agreed to the “COMPLETE, IMMEDIATE, and SAFE OPENING of the Strait of Hormuz.” An Iranian diplomatic source told journalists a new mechanism had been organized with Oman “under which there has been and will be a right of passage.” On Wednesday, Oman welcomed the ceasefire without commenting on this issue. Tehran is expected to ask for one dollar per barrel of oil passing through the strait, to be paid in cryptocurrencies, according to the Financial Times. The idea of a partnership with Oman to operate the Strait of Hormuz is “not a fantasy,” Amir Handjari of the US-based Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft argued in an op-ed on Tuesday. “Oman gets a revenue stream and more strategic relevance. Iran gets legitimacy, cash, and something to show its people it achieved during the war,” the blog post said.

**What precedents are there?** The effective closure of the Strait of Hormuz is unprecedented. It remained open even during the Iran-Iraq war from 1980 to 1988, though there were some tanker attacks that slowed traffic significantly. More recently in 2024, attacks by pro-Iranian Houthi militias led to a halving of traffic passing through the Suez Canal and the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, the French economy ministry said.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: Iranshippingstrait of hormuz
Share24Tweet15Share4Pin5Send
Previous Post

France unveils rearmament boost to face Russia threat

Next Post

Argentine MPs to debate watered-down glaciers protection

Natalie Fisher

Natalie Fisher

Related Posts

Economy

Japan inflation slows more than expected in April

May 21, 2026
Economy

With Fed under intense Trump pressure, new chief to be sworn in at White House

May 22, 2026
Economy

California governor orders a plan to cope with AI job upheaval

May 22, 2026
Economy

EU slashes eurozone 2026 growth forecast on Mideast war

May 21, 2026
Economy

Rich nations topped $100 bn climate finance goal again in 2023, 2024: OECD

May 21, 2026
Economy

Fighting over a chicken in protest-hit La Paz

May 21, 2026
Next Post

Argentine MPs to debate watered-down glaciers protection

Crude rises, stocks fall on fears over nascent Iran ceasefire

Waiting for DeepSeek: new model to test China's AI ambitions

Ukraine lets firms deploy air defences against Russian attacks

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

97

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Hotels strive to be found as AI models conduct travel search

May 23, 2026

Lightning advance: swathes of Hanoi demolished for development

May 24, 2026

US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit

May 23, 2026

SpaceX carries out mostly successful Starship test flight

May 23, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.