EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

VW chief warns carmaker’s situation ‘more than critical’

Andrew Murphy by Andrew Murphy
August 23, 2026
in Economy
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
4
19
SHARES
236
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Volkswagen is struggling with fierce Chinese competition and a tricky shift to electric vehicles. ©AFP

Berlin (AFP) – Volkswagen’s CEO warned Sunday the company was in a “more than critical” state ahead of meetings with the car giant’s staff where he will defend the company’s savings plans. In an interview posted on the company’s intranet and sent to AFP, Oliver Blume said Volkswagen and the rest of Germany’s car industry are facing “the biggest upheaval in their history” from global headwinds and Chinese competition. The carmaker is weighing up huge job cuts.

Related

After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia’s Ozon

Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance

US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists

Canadian negotiator says ‘more work to do’ on US trade deal

In the coming days, Blume will meet with employees at Volkswagen’s headquarters in Wolfsburg and sites in Zwickau and Emden to give updates on the company’s plans. In the interview, Blume stated that no decision had been taken on plant closures but reiterated the company’s position that for plants in “Emden, Hannover, Zwickau and Neckarsulm we cannot currently see any way of them remaining profitable in the 2030s”. He mentioned that the company also had to deal with the over-production of 500,000 vehicles per year in Europe.

Closing factories would always be “the last and most expensive solution,” Blume said. He added that at sites where car production may stop, Volkswagen was exploring other “industrial solutions,” pointing to advanced talks with companies from the defence industry over using its factory in Osnabrueck. Blume described the situation facing the company as “more than critical” and said its current level of profits was not sufficient to “ensure we have the means over the long term for new technologies, new products and our locations”.

Alongside competition in and from China, Blume named US tariffs, the war in the Middle East, and regulatory burdens as key challenges for the company. Asked whether he expected the situation to improve, Blume said, “on the contrary, we have to assume that risks will get worse, worldwide”.

In July, Blume presented saving plans to Volkswagen’s supervisory board, but no decision was taken. German media reported at the time that the Lower Saxony state government, a major shareholder in the Volkswagen Group that holds 20 percent of the voting rights, refused to sign off on the plans. The group has already ordered 50,000 job cuts, and Blume said that agreements have already been reached with 37,000 employees.

Blume appealed to employees to pull together for the sake of the auto giant. “We will only be successful if everyone in the company supports this plan,” he said. The head of the IG Metall union on Friday sharply criticized management and promised to resist the factory closures. Volkswagen’s workers have already had to accept hefty and painful cuts, and now are getting another slap in the face, Christiane Benner told the Wirtschaftswoche weekly.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: automotive industryjob cutsVolkswagen
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

Trump admin predicts US trade war ‘devastating’ for Canada

Andrew Murphy

Andrew Murphy

Related Posts

Economy

Brazil’s Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump

August 21, 2026
Economy

US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline

August 21, 2026
Economy

In US mining hub, black lung rates soar

August 21, 2026
Economy

Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought

August 21, 2026
Economy

US, Canada ‘very close’ to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge

August 20, 2026
Economy

US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge

August 20, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
4 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

103

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

VW chief warns carmaker’s situation ‘more than critical’

August 23, 2026

Trump admin predicts US trade war ‘devastating’ for Canada

August 23, 2026

After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia’s Ozon

August 23, 2026

Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom

August 23, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Your Privacy Choices

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2026 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.