EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

‘Misinformation megaphone’: Musk stokes tension before US election

Emma Reilly by Emma Reilly
September 27, 2024
in Other
Reading Time: 8 mins read
A A
0
108
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Elon Musk (L) has thrown is weight and considerable wealth behind Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump. ©AFP

Washington (AFP) – With incendiary, misleading posts to his 200 million followers, Elon Musk has courted criticism for cranking up the political temperature ahead of an already polarized US election through his influential platform that is plagued with misinformation. Researchers fear there may be little to stop Musk—who has endorsed Donald Trump—from using X, formerly Twitter, and his personal account to sway voters in favor of the Republican nominee, call into question the legitimacy of the electoral process, and provoke violence against political rivals and poll workers.

Related

Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen’s suicide

Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall

Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist

Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030

Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries

“Musk has a huge following on X and he treats the platform like his own misinformation megaphone,” Imran Ahmed, chief executive of the watchdog Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH), told AFP. Musk has amplified debunked falsehoods from politicians, including Trump, that Democrats are “importing” migrants into the United States to vote in the November election and that immigrants from Haiti in Ohio were killing and eating pets. Soon after a second assassination attempt on Trump, Musk posted a comment—alongside a thinking emoji—that “no one is even trying to assassinate” President Joe Biden and the Democratic nominee, Vice President Kamala Harris. Musk deleted the post, which the White House called “irresponsible,” while adding that violence should never be “encouraged or joked about.”

Musk also faced criticism for sharing a deepfake video in which a voiceover mimicking Harris calls Biden senile and declares that she does not “know the first thing about running the country.” The video was originally posted by an X account linked to the conservative podcaster Chris Kohls and labeled a “parody,” but Musk’s repost made no such disclosure.

– ‘Much impact’ –

False or misleading election claims on X by Musk have amassed nearly 1.2 billion views, CCDH reported last month. Its researchers identified 50 posts by Musk since January containing election claims that were debunked by independent fact-checkers. X did not respond to a request for comment. Musk, analysts say, appears to have supplanted the role Trump once played on the platform.

“What gave Trump’s tweets so much impact in 2016—and throughout his presidency—was not just that they were seen by people on Twitter, but how much media coverage they got,” Joshua Tucker, co-director of the NYU Center for Social Media and Politics, told AFP. “What is happening with Musk these days on Twitter/X feels similar: his posts are not just seen on the site, but they also seem to be getting a lot of pickup in the media.” The platform is very different today compared to the previous 2020 election, when it was largely seen as a clearinghouse of reliable information.

Since he purchased it in 2022 for $44 billion, Musk has aggressively sought to model the site as a censorship-free haven and a superior source to mainstream media—winning plaudits from US conservatives strongly averse to social media content moderation. He has gutted trust and safety teams, scaled back content moderation efforts, and restored known conspiracy theorists to the platform, making it what researchers call a cesspool of disinformation. In August, five US states sent an open letter to Musk, imploring him to fix X’s AI chatbot—known as Grok—after it shared misinformation about the election.

– ‘Losing battle’ –

Outside the US, Musk is not always offered the same freedom to let users post whatever they want. In Brazil, a high-profile judge ordered the suspension of X after Musk refused to remove dozens of right-wing accounts accused of spreading fake news, and then failed to name a new legal representative in the country as ordered. Musk appeared to capitulate last week, with the company’s lawyers saying that X had complied with the orders.

EU regulators meanwhile are currently carrying out a wide-ranging probe into X to see how effectively it combats disinformation. If found at fault, X faces major fines or orders that it take urgent action to comply with EU rules. Australia is planning similar regulation, and in Britain, new rules are about to come into effect that could give authorities more say over how platforms control their content.

“Musk’s reputation is slowly losing in the court of public opinion, with people increasingly calling out his authoritarian tactics,” Nora Benavidez, senior counsel at the nonprofit watchdog Free Press, told AFP. “He can continue down this sad path, but it’s a losing battle.”

© 2024 AFP

Tags: disinformationpoliticssocial media
Share43Tweet27Share8Pin10Send
Previous Post

Global stocks mostly rise, cheering Beijing stimulus

Next Post

Trump vows to prosecute Google for showing ‘bad’ stories on him

Emma Reilly

Emma Reilly

Related Posts

Other

Heat is on as German winegrowers struggle to protect vines

August 17, 2026
Other

Stocks slip in cautious trading after weak US retail sales data

August 17, 2026
Other

US retail sales weakest in over a year, consumer sentiment plunges

August 14, 2026
Other

Stocks slip in cautious trading, oil turns higher

August 14, 2026
Other

Stocks tread water with eyes on oil price

August 14, 2026
Other

Stocks mixed as oil climbs, dollar drops

August 14, 2026
Next Post

Trump vows to prosecute Google for showing 'bad' stories on him

Milei moves to privatize flag carrier in standoff with unions

Brazil judge says will lift Musk's X ban if $1.8 mn fine paid

US ports brace for potential dockworkers strike

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

103

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall

August 17, 2026

Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist

August 17, 2026

Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path

August 17, 2026

Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030

August 17, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Your Privacy Choices

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2026 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.