EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Canal+ buyout of S.Africa’s MultiChoice one step closer

Emma Reilly by Emma Reilly
May 21, 2025
in Business
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
0
39
SHARES
483
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

MultiChoice is Africa's largest pay TV enterprise and includes SuperSport and DStv. ©AFP

Johannesburg (AFP) – South Africa’s competition authority announced Wednesday it had approved the buyout of Africa’s largest pay TV enterprise MultiChoice by France’s Canal+, which wants to expand its footprint on the continent.

Related

US Spirit Airlines files for bankruptcy again

Lay off our eggs market, French producers tell Ukraine

Qantas says profits up, strong travel demand ahead

Defence giant Rheinmetall opens mega-plant as Europe rearms

Qantas says profits up, strong travel demand ahead

The merger, which has been in the works for nearly a year, needs the final go-ahead from the commission’s Competition Tribunal, it said in a statement. Canal+ holds around 45 percent of MultiChoice’s shares and offered last year to acquire the remainder for 125 rand (6.16 euro) per share.

Canal+ is present in 25 African countries through 16 subsidiaries and has eight million subscribers, according to the French group. MultiChoice operates in 50 countries across sub-Saharan Africa and has 19.3 million subscribers, it says. It includes Africa’s premier sports broadcaster, SuperSport, and the DStv satellite television service.

“This is a major step forward in our ambition to create a global media and entertainment company with Africa at its heart,” Canal+ CEO Maxime Saada said in a statement.

The commission said its approval of the merger was subject to public-interest conditions worth about 26 billion rand over three years, including increasing the shareholding of people disadvantaged under South Africa’s white-minority apartheid regime. It will also maintain the MultiChoice headquarters in South Africa.

A date for the Tribunal’s decision on the merger has not been announced, but Canal+ said it was aiming for the deal to be completed by early October.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: entertainmentmergerSouth Africa
Share16Tweet10Share3Pin4Send
Previous Post

High-flying young electricians wire UK energy switch

Next Post

Epic Games says Fortnite back on Apple’s US App Store

Emma Reilly

Emma Reilly

Related Posts

Business

AI giant Nvidia shares slip despite record sales

August 27, 2025
Business

Norway wealth fund divests from Caterpillar over Gaza ‘rights violations’

August 27, 2025
Business

US restaurant chain Cracker Barrel cracks, revives old logo

August 26, 2025
Business

Trump joins backlash against US restaurant Cracker Barrel

August 26, 2025
Business

Norway wealth fund divests from Caterpillar over Gaza ‘rights violations’

August 25, 2025
Business

Trump advisor says US may take stakes in other firms after Intel

August 26, 2025
Next Post

Epic Games says Fortnite back on Apple's US App Store

UK inflation hits 15-month high as utility bills soar

EU plans two-euro flat fee on small parcels from outside bloc

Apple design legend Jony Ive joins OpenAI

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

77

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Britain’s energy grid bets on flywheels to keep the lights on

August 31, 2025

Indonesian islanders taking Swiss concrete giant to court over climate

August 31, 2025

New wave: Sea power turned into energy at Los Angeles port

August 31, 2025

US appeals court finds Trump’s global tariffs illegal

August 31, 2025
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.