EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 10, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Tech

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

David Peterson by David Peterson
April 21, 2024
in Tech
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
16
5.3k
SHARES
65.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

. ©AFP

Sydney (AFP) – Elon Musk’s X said Saturday it will fight an Australian watchdog’s order to take down content related to the brutal stabbing of a priest during a live-streamed Sydney church service.

Related

Europe’s Ariane 6 to launch Amazon constellation satellites into orbit

Discord adopts facial recognition in child safety crackdown

EU warns Meta it must open up WhatsApp to rival AI chatbots

Opinions of Zuckerberg hang over social media addiction trial jury selection

Crypto firm accidentally sends $40 bn in bitcoin to users

Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel was allegedly slashed in the head and chest by a 16-year-old suspect on Monday, sparking a riot by followers of the Assyrian Christian church in western Sydney. The bishop has since issued a message from hospital saying he is recovering from his wounds and has forgiven his assailant.

Video of the bloody attack, which spread widely on social media platforms, has been blamed by Australian authorities for feeding tensions in the community. X’s government affairs department said it had complied with an initial eSafety directive, “pending a legal challenge”, to remove “certain posts in Australia that commented on the recent attack”. But the social media platform said it later received a demand from Australia’s eSafety commissioner Julie Inman Grant to “globally withhold the posts”. X said it had been warned it faced a daily fine of Aus$785,000 (US$500,000) for failure to comply.

“The Australian censorship commissar is demanding *global* content bans!” Musk wrote as he reshared the company’s response. “The eSafety Commissioner does not have the authority to dictate what content X’s users can see globally. We will robustly challenge this unlawful and dangerous approach in court,” X said.

– ‘Shocked’ – X said the posts did not violate its own rules on violent speech. The eSafety watchdog said Friday it was working to ensure X’s “full and complete compliance” with Australian law. “We are considering whether further regulatory action is required,” it said. The authority said it was “disappointed that process has been unnecessarily prolonged rather than prioritising the safety of Australians and the Australian community”. eSafety said it was also working with major social media platforms over the reposting and sharing of content that shows or encourages terrorism or other extreme violence.

New South Wales Premier Chris Minns has been scathing of the role played by some platforms in making violent images of the attack available. “I’m shocked but I’m not surprised,” he said Saturday when asked about X’s statement. “That is exactly what I would expect from X or Twitter or whatever you want to call it: a disregard for the information that they have pumped into our communities, lies and rumours spreading like wildfire,” Minns said. “And when things go wrong, throwing their hands up in the air to say they’re not prepared to do anything about it.” Minns called for a strengthening of the rules governing social media companies. “We have had enough. Sydney has had enough.”

© 2024 AFP

Tags: Australiasocial mediaviolence
Share2108Tweet1318Share369Pin474Send
Previous Post

‘Early-stage’ AI begins to make waves at China sex toy expo

Next Post

Mass protests in Canary Islands decry overtourism

David Peterson

David Peterson

Related Posts

Tech

Google’s annual revenue tops $400 bn for first time, AI investments rise

February 4, 2026
Tech

Spain to seek social media ban for under-16s

February 4, 2026
Tech

X hits back after France summons Musk, raids offices in deepfake probe

February 4, 2026
Tech

Musk merges xAI into SpaceX in bid to build space data centers

February 3, 2026
Tech

Level playing field? Tech at forefront of US immigration fight

February 2, 2026
Tech

Nvidia boss insists ‘huge’ investment in OpenAI on track

January 31, 2026
Next Post

Mass protests in Canary Islands decry overtourism

Splashy Saudi mega-project NEOM chases Chinese funds

Israel holds Palestinian economy captive, say analysts

Slovenia's umbrella doctor weathers the economic storm

4.5 2 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
16 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

81

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Asian stock markets mixed as traders weigh US data, await jobs

February 10, 2026

Instagram boss to testify at social media addiction trial

February 10, 2026

Ford results dented by tariffs, supplier outage

February 10, 2026

Britney Spears sells rights to her music catalog: US media

February 10, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.