EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

EU chief delays retaliation for US tariffs in search of deal

David Peterson by David Peterson
July 14, 2025
in Other
Reading Time: 7 mins read
A A
1
28
SHARES
350
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

EU chief Ursula von der Leyen has said the EU was delaying countermeasures against the US in search of a trade deal. ©AFP

Brussels (Belgium) (AFP) – EU chief Ursula von der Leyen said Sunday that Brussels would continue to hold off on hitting back at US steel and aluminium tariffs as it seeks a deal to avoid broader 30-percent levies. US President Donald Trump on Saturday threw months of painstaking negotiations into disarray by announcing he would hammer the 27-nation bloc with the sweeping tariffs if no agreement is reached by August 1.

Related

European stocks retreat before US inflation data

Modi says India, Japan to ‘shape the Asian century’

Vandalism hobbles Nigeria’s mobile telephone services

Cash-strapped Taliban look to airspace for windfall

Brazil police target network that siphoned billions from fuel sector

“The United States has sent us a letter with measures that would come into effect unless there is a negotiated solution, so we will therefore also extend the suspension of our countermeasures until early August,” von der Leyen told journalists. “At the same time, we will continue to prepare for the countermeasures so we’re fully prepared,” she added. The European Commission president insisted that the European Union has “always been very clear that we prefer a negotiated solution. This remains the case, and we will use the time that we have now till August 1.”

The move by von der Leyen will spur hope that Trump’s latest threat — in which he also targeted Mexico — has not killed off the progress made in negotiations so far between Brussels and Washington. The European Union’s current suspension of its retaliation over US steel and aluminium tariffs had been set to expire overnight Monday to Tuesday.

– ‘Ready to respond’ –

Brussels has readied duties on US goods worth around 21 billion euros ($24 billion) in response to the levies Trump slapped on metal imports earlier this year. But it announced in April it was holding off on those measures to give space to find a broader trade agreement with the Trump administration. “Since the very beginning, we have worked and now are ready to respond with countermeasures. We’ve prepared for this, and we can respond with countermeasures if necessary,” von der Leyen said.

EU trade ministers meet in Brussels Monday to discuss the bloc’s response to Trump’s latest move — and how strong a line to take with Washington. On Sunday, Chancellor Friedrich Merz told the ARD broadcaster that if the threatened tariffs came into effect they would “overtake a lot of the efforts we have been making” towards reviving the economy and would “hit our exporters to the core.” He said he agreed with French President Emmanuel Macron, who said on Saturday the EU had to “step up the preparation of credible countermeasures” in the event of no deal before August 1. In his statement Saturday, Macron also urged the European Commission — which negotiates on behalf of all EU countries — to “resolutely defend European interests.”

– Meloni’s warning –

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said in a statement Sunday: “A trade war within the West would weaken us all in the face of the global challenges we are confronting together. Europe has the economic and financial strength to assert its position and reach a fair and sensible agreement,” she added.

Since returning to the presidency in January, Trump has unleashed sweeping stop-start tariffs on allies and competitors alike, roiling financial markets and raising fears of a global economic downturn. But his administration is coming under pressure to secure deals with trading partners after promising a flurry of agreements. So far, US officials have only unveiled two pacts, with Britain and Vietnam, alongside temporarily lower tit-for-tat duties with China.

The European Union, alongside dozens of other economies, had been set to see its US tariff level increase from a baseline of 10 percent on July 9, but Trump pushed back the deadline to August 1. In a letter published on Saturday, Trump cited the United States’s trade imbalance with the bloc as justification for the new 30-percent levies. The EU tariff is markedly steeper than the 20-percent levy Trump had unveiled in April — before hitting pause as markets went into meltdown.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: EUtariffstrade
Share11Tweet7Share2Pin3Send
Previous Post

France says Australia defence ties repaired after submarine row

Next Post

US senators aim to arm Trump with ‘sledgehammer’ sanctions against Russia

David Peterson

David Peterson

Related Posts

Other

Small parcels in limbo as Trump moves to end US tariff exemption

August 28, 2025
Other

Stocks mixed as investors digest US GDP, Nvidia earnings

August 28, 2025
Other

Stocks mixed after Nvidia record earnings

August 28, 2025
Other

Nigerian designer pushes ‘Afro-lux’ onto the global fashion scene

August 28, 2025
Other

Nigerian designer pushes ‘Afro-lux’ onto the global fashion scene

August 28, 2025
Other

‘Perfect storm’: UK fishermen reel from octopus invasion

August 28, 2025
Next Post

US senators aim to arm Trump with 'sledgehammer' sanctions against Russia

US conducts military exercises at Panama Canal

'Las Vegas in Laos': the riverside city awash with crime

Asian markets mostly rise on lingering trade deal optimism

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

77

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

US appeals court finds Trump’s global tariffs illegal

August 29, 2025

US Spirit Airlines files for bankruptcy again

August 29, 2025

In whirlwind tour, Qatari royal commits $70bn to southern Africa

August 29, 2025

Hearing ends without ruling on Trump attempt to oust Fed Governor Cook

August 29, 2025
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.