EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Friday, November 28, 2025
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

Ex-Volkswagen CEO denies charges in ‘dieselgate’ trial

David Peterson by David Peterson
September 3, 2024
in Other
Reading Time: 7 mins read
A A
0
43
SHARES
537
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Ex-Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn arrives at the start of his "dieselgate" trial in Braunschweig. ©AFP

Braunschweig (Germany) (AFP) – Former Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn denied the charges against him as his “dieselgate” trial began, his lawyer said Tuesday, nine years after the scandal first plunged the German auto titan into crisis. The 77-year-old “rejects the accusations levelled against him,” Felix Doerr told reporters at the court in the city of Braunschweig, close to VW’s historic Wolfsburg headquarters.

Related

How successful has OPEC+’s oil output policy been in 2025?

Stocks rise in thin post-Thanksgiving trading

Stocks rise in thin Thanksgiving trading

China, inflation could pop Japan PM’s bubble

China, inflation could pop Japan PM’s bubble

The carmaker admitted in 2015 that it had installed software to rig emissions levels in millions of vehicles worldwide, setting off one of Germany’s biggest post-war industrial scandals. Winterkorn faces charges including fraud over the use of the so-called defeat devices, which made cars appear less polluting in lab tests than they were on the road, and could be jailed for up to 10 years if convicted. He resigned as head of the VW group — whose brands range from Porsche and Audi to Skoda and Seat — shortly after the crisis began, but previous attempts to bring him to trial had failed.

He was supposed to face court in 2021 alongside four other VW executives, but proceedings against him were split off and postponed due to his poor health. Upon arrival at the court in Braunschweig, Winterkorn told reporters he was doing “quite well.” Asked how he looked back on his life’s work, Winterkorn replied: “When I see the beautiful cars, very fondly.” He briefly addressed the court at the start of the hearing to confirm his personal details, speaking slowly and leaning on a chair for support. Questions about Winterkorn’s health hang over the proceedings, with reports saying he had to undergo an operation in mid-June. Some 89 hearings have been scheduled through September 2025.

But his lawyer Doerr said the defense team were confident he would be able to cope with the trial and they do not expect it will take until next year to wrap up the proceedings.

Winterkorn faces several charges. He has been accused of conspiracy to commit fraud, with the allegation based on the claim that buyers of some of the group’s vehicles were “deceived about their characteristics” due to the use of defeat devices, according to the court. The alleged fraud relates to about nine million vehicles sold in Europe and the United States, with the buyers facing financial losses running into hundreds of millions of euros, it said. However, Winterkorn has not been accused of involvement in the offence for its entire period, which was from 2006 to 2015. He was VW chief executive from 2007 until 2015.

He has also been accused of giving false testimony to a German parliamentary committee in 2017 when it was investigating the scandal. He said that he knew of the existence of the defeat devices only in September 2015 but prosecutors claim it was earlier. Winterkorn further faces a charge of market manipulation. He is alleged to have “deliberately failed to inform the capital market in good time” after finding out about the emissions-rigging software, in violation of German stock market regulations.

Winterkorn had already agreed on a settlement with Volkswagen in 2021, under which he would pay the company 11 million euros ($12 million) in relation to the controversy. Ahead of the trial, Volkswagen noted it was not party to the proceedings, although it said that it would be monitoring them. The highest-ranking former executive to have been convicted so far in the scandal is ex-Audi CEO Rupert Stadler. In June last year, he received a suspended sentence and a fine as part of a deal in exchange for admitting to fraud by negligence. The fraud has already cost VW more than 30 billion euros in fines, legal costs, and compensation to car owners, mainly in the United States.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: automotive industryfraudscandal
Share17Tweet11Share3Pin4Send
Previous Post

Turmoil in Italy over plan to hike tourist tax

Next Post

Oil prices, stocks retreat as China weighs on sentiment

David Peterson

David Peterson

Related Posts

Other

Carney advances new Canada oil pipeline, raising climate concerns

November 27, 2025
Other

Venezuela foreign airline ban slammed as ‘disproportionate’

November 27, 2025
Other

European stocks steady as US shuts for Thanksgiving

November 27, 2025
Other

EU could hit X with fine before 2025 ends

November 28, 2025
Other

Beer giant Asahi not engaging with hackers after cyberattack

November 28, 2025
Other

Most Asian markets track latest Wall St rally as rate bets rise

November 27, 2025
Next Post

Oil prices, stocks retreat as China weighs on sentiment

From acclaim to blame: Lebanon bank chief Riad Salameh

Oil prices, stocks slump on growth worries

Eco-friendly French cargo ship revives sail power

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

79

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

How successful has OPEC+’s oil output policy been in 2025?

November 28, 2025

Stocks rise in thin post-Thanksgiving trading

November 28, 2025

Air travel faces disruptions over A320 software switch

November 28, 2025

Crowds, bargains greet US shoppers on ‘Black Friday’

November 28, 2025
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.