EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Tech

Google facing £5 bn UK lawsuit over ad searches: firms

David Peterson by David Peterson
April 16, 2025
in Tech
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
0
22
SHARES
279
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The move mirrors similar crackdowns on Google in the United States and Europe.. ©AFP

London (AFP) – Google on Wednesday said it would “vigorously” defend itself after some 250,000 UK businesses filed a multi-billion-pound legal claim against the US tech giant for allegedly overcharging for online advertising.

Related

China market for Nvidia AI chips to open ‘over time’: Huang

Modi oversees semi-conductor deal on Dutch trip

Wordle heads to primetime as media seek puzzle reinvention

Chinese tech giant Alibaba posts profit drop amid AI drive

Sam Altman to testify at California tech titan trial

Law firm Geradin Partners said it had filed a £5 billion ($6.6 billion) claim with Britain’s Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT), arguing that Google “abused its dominant position to exclude competitors from the general search and search advertising markets”. Geradin noted that regulators worldwide “have described Google as operating a ‘monopoly’ and courts in the US and EU have found that Google’s conduct broke competition laws”.

A Google spokesperson described the CAT filing as “yet another speculative and opportunistic case”. “We will argue against it vigorously. Consumers and advertisers use Google because it is helpful, not because there are no alternatives,” they added.

The latest case relates to searches carried out via Google since 2011. “Through a range of deliberate and exclusionary practices, it has sought to eliminate its rivals and dominate the search advertising market, ultimately overcharging UK advertisers by billions of pounds,” the founding partner of Geradin, Damien Geradin, said in a statement. “This is the first claim of its kind in the UK that seeks redress for the harm caused specifically to businesses who have been forced to pay inflated prices for advertising space on Google pages.”

A similar UK class action was filed against Google in 2023, this time seeking compensation of £7 billion to be shared among consumers, with businesses seen as passing on costs. Last year, a £13.6-billion claim against Google was filed for alleged anti-competitiveness in digital advertising. Both cases are ongoing.

Britain’s Competition and Markets Authority is also investigating Google’s alleged dominance in the search-engine market, looking at its impact for consumers and businesses. The investigation could lead to the company being handed “strategic market status”, subjecting it to special requirements under new UK regulations. A similar tech competition law from the European Union, the Digital Markets Act, carries hefty financial penalties for giants like Apple, Google, and Meta in the event of infringements.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: advertisingantitrustlawsuit
Share9Tweet6Share2Pin2Send
Previous Post

Global trade uncertainty could have ‘severe negative consequences’: WTO chief

Next Post

Canada central bank holds interest rate steady amid tariffs chaos

David Peterson

David Peterson

Related Posts

Tech

South Korea official floats AI profit social tax as tech giants boom

May 12, 2026
Tech

Microsoft boss ‘proud’ of profit-making OpenAI investment

May 12, 2026
Tech

AI use surges globally but rich-poor divide widens, Microsoft says

May 7, 2026
Tech

Europe’s first commercial robotaxi service rolls out in Croatia

May 5, 2026
Tech

Pyongyang calling: North Korea shows off own-brand phones

May 5, 2026
Tech

Musk vs OpenAI trial enters second week

May 4, 2026
Next Post

Canada central bank holds interest rate steady amid tariffs chaos

Stocks mixed as US hits Nvidia chip export to China

The Trump adviser who wants to rewrite the global financial system

WTO chief says 'very concerned' as tariffs cut into global trade

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

97

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Mango scion released on bail after arrest over father’s death

May 19, 2026

G7 finance ministers vow cooperation to face ‘heightened risks’

May 19, 2026

Power of Siberia 2: The giant gas pipeline Russia wants to build to China

May 19, 2026

France says G7 finance talks ‘frank, sometimes difficult’

May 19, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.