EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

Los Angeles fires deliver latest blow to embattled Hollywood

David Peterson by David Peterson
January 14, 2025
in Other
Reading Time: 8 mins read
A A
0
37
SHARES
467
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The wildfires raging around Los Angeles have also disrupted the economy as awards shows and film production have ground to a halt. ©AFP

Los Angeles (United States) (AFP) – As Los Angeles is gripped by wildfires that resemble a Hollywood disaster movie, the city’s vast entertainment industry is already counting the costs of yet another drastic setback that its workers can ill-afford. Actors, crew, writers, and producers have lost their homes; film and television productions have been temporarily halted; and calls are mounting for Hollywood’s award season to be canceled. It comes with Los Angeles’s entertainment sector — worth $115 billion to the region’s economy — already in dire straits, as some film and TV productions abandon the city over high costs. The Covid-19 pandemic and recent labor upheavals have also taken their toll in recent years.

Related

European stocks retreat before US inflation data

Modi says India, Japan to ‘shape the Asian century’

Vandalism hobbles Nigeria’s mobile telephone services

Cash-strapped Taliban look to airspace for windfall

Brazil police target network that siphoned billions from fuel sector

“Hollywood, as everyone, was hit by the pandemic with severe consequences. The strikes obviously affected the industry, probably forever,” said Marc Malkin, senior culture and events editor for trade magazine Variety. “Add the fires to that, and Hollywood is just being hit over and over again.” Stars including Anthony Hopkins, Mel Gibson, and Billy Crystal have lost their homes to the past week’s blazes. But that is only the tip of the iceberg, with thousands of houses destroyed across a city that is home to 680,000 people employed in the entertainment industry or service jobs directly supporting it.

“Grey’s Anatomy,” “NCIS,” “Hacks,” and “Fallout” are among more than a dozen Los Angeles-based TV productions that have seen their sets go dark since the fires broke out. Parts of the city where major soundstages are located, including Burbank, were threatened by the fires but have so far been spared. However, Film LA, which handles permissions for outdoor movie and TV shoots, warned producers working in or near evacuation zones to “expect to have your permit canceled,” and advised others that on-set safety supervisors would be in short supply. With dense smoke and soot cloaking the entire region, even productions hoping to film further afield are affected.

“If you’re shooting outside in Los Angeles right now, not great. The air quality is that bad,” said Malkin.

There is no word yet on when productions will resume. Aside from the many logistical issues, the industry must consider the optics of returning to normal while swaths of Los Angeles are aflame. Nowhere is this issue more delicate than with Hollywood’s ongoing award season — an endless series of swanky premieres, galas, and prize-giving ceremonies that is currently on hold. Events including the Critics Choice Awards show have been delayed, and Los Angeles premieres for films like Pamela Anderson’s “The Last Showgirl” and the Robbie Williams biopic “Better Man” were scrapped last week. The cancellations even extended to New York, where a premiere for hit Apple TV show “Severance” was aborted.

“The studios, the streamers are having the right response by canceling or postponing glitz-and-glamor events,” said Malkin. “For people to walk the red carpet, all glitzy and glamor-y, while Los Angeles is literally and figuratively burning… it would be a little disconcerting to hear people either talking about their fashion or that ‘silly story from set.'” Even the televised announcement of this year’s Oscars nominees has been delayed. “So many of our members and industry colleagues live and work in the Los Angeles area, and we are thinking of you,” Academy CEO Bill Kramer wrote in a message to members.

“Hacks” actress Jean Smart has advocated going a step further and scrapping the entire season. “With ALL due respect, during Hollywood’s season of celebration, I hope any of the networks televising the upcoming awards will seriously consider NOT televising them and donating the revenue they would have garnered to the victims of the fires and the firefighters,” Smart wrote on Instagram.

While few in Tinseltown are in the mood for celebrating, Malkin warned that canceling the entire season would have devastating ripple effects on hair-and-makeup artists, waiters, drivers, and security staff. “Yes, the celebrities are going to be okay, financially,” he said. “But when you think about all the people who staff these various award shows, these are gig workers who rely on these paychecks… it would have a devastating effect.”

© 2024 AFP

Share15Tweet9Share3Pin3Send
Previous Post

Los Angeles fire evacuees face price gouging

Next Post

Markets track Wall St losses after blockbuster US jobs report

David Peterson

David Peterson

Related Posts

Other

Small parcels in limbo as Trump moves to end US tariff exemption

August 28, 2025
Other

Stocks mixed as investors digest US GDP, Nvidia earnings

August 28, 2025
Other

Stocks mixed after Nvidia record earnings

August 28, 2025
Other

Nigerian designer pushes ‘Afro-lux’ onto the global fashion scene

August 28, 2025
Other

Nigerian designer pushes ‘Afro-lux’ onto the global fashion scene

August 28, 2025
Other

‘Perfect storm’: UK fishermen reel from octopus invasion

August 28, 2025
Next Post

Markets track Wall St losses after blockbuster US jobs report

China saw booming exports in 2024 as Trump tariffs loom

Japan PM tells Biden 'strong' concerns over steel deal

Billion-pound lawsuit against Apple over App Store opens in UK

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

77

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

US appeals court finds Trump’s global tariffs illegal

August 29, 2025

US Spirit Airlines files for bankruptcy again

August 29, 2025

In whirlwind tour, Qatari royal commits $70bn to southern Africa

August 29, 2025

Hearing ends without ruling on Trump attempt to oust Fed Governor Cook

August 29, 2025
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.