EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Trump ramps up Venezuela threats, warns airspace ‘closed’

Andrew Murphy by Andrew Murphy
November 29, 2025
in Business
Reading Time: 6 mins read
A A
0
19
SHARES
235
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

US President Donald Trump is piling pressure on Venezuela, with a major military deployment in the Caribbean that includes the world's largest aircraft carrier. ©AFP

Palm Beach (United States) (AFP) – US President Donald Trump sharply escalated his threats against Venezuela on Saturday, ominously warning that the country’s airspace should be considered “closed.” Caracas, which views a large US military buildup in the Caribbean as a pressure campaign to oust President Nicolas Maduro, slammed Trump’s warning as a “colonialist threat.”

Related

Travel chaos fears ease after Airbus intervenes on software fix

Air travel disrupted over Airbus A320 software switch

Driven by TikTok trends, new beauty brands target children

Japan beer giant Asahi delays earnings due to cyberattack

Campbell’s responds to ‘absurd’ charge it uses 3D-printed chicken

“To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social network, “please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.” The US president did not elaborate. His warning comes days after US aviation regulators told airlines to use increased caution near Venezuela over the mounting tensions, prompting multiple major carriers to suspend flights.

A statement by the Venezuelan foreign ministry called the latest remarks from Trump a “new extravagant, illegal, and unjustified aggression against the people of Venezuela.” It warned that the airspace disruptions would also mean a halt to repatriation flights of Venezuelan migrants from the United States. At mid-afternoon, aviation tracking site FlightRadar24 showed only a few airplanes operating over Venezuela.

Trump’s administration is piling pressure on Venezuela, with a major military deployment in the Caribbean that includes the world’s largest aircraft carrier. Washington says the aim is to curb drug trafficking, but Caracas insists regime change is the ultimate goal. US forces have carried out strikes against more than 20 alleged drug-smuggling vessels in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean since early September, killing at least 83 people. Washington has yet to release evidence that the vessels it targeted were used to smuggle drugs or posed a threat to the United States, and experts say the strikes amount to extrajudicial killings even if they target known traffickers.

Raising the stakes further, Trump warned earlier this week that efforts to halt Venezuelan drug trafficking “by land” would begin “very soon.” In recent days, repeated activity by US military aircraft has been recorded just a few dozen kilometers off the Venezuelan coast, according to aircraft tracking websites.

The Dominican Republic also granted the United States permission this week to use airport facilities as part of its deployment, while the island nation of Trinidad and Tobago, located only a few kilometers from Venezuela, recently hosted US Marine Corps exercises. The tensions have now led to major disruptions in air travel to and from Venezuela.

US aviation authorities last week urged civilian aircraft operating in Venezuelan airspace to “exercise caution” due to the “worsening security situation and heightened military activity in or around Venezuela.” That warning prompted six airlines that account for much of the travel in South America to suspend flights to Venezuela. The move infuriated Caracas and led it to ban the companies—Spain’s Iberia, Portugal’s TAP, Colombia’s Avianca, Chile and Brazil’s LATAM, Brazil’s GOL, and Turkish Airlines—for “joining the actions of state terrorism promoted by the United States government.”

Leftist Maduro, whose re-election last year was widely rejected by the international community as fraudulent, believes the operation is secretly aimed at overthrowing him. He has reacted defiantly, staging military exercises and mass rallies aimed at projecting strength and popular support. The New York Times reported on Friday that Trump and Maduro had spoken by phone last week and discussed a possible meeting in the United States.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: Donald TrumpmilitaryVenezuela
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

Trump says Venezuela airspace should be considered ‘closed in its entirety’

Andrew Murphy

Andrew Murphy

Related Posts

Business

Campbell’s responds to ‘absurd’ charge it uses 3D-printed chicken

November 26, 2025
Business

Insurance giant Allianz signals job cuts in AI shift

November 26, 2025
Business

Swedish steel startup Stegra gets more state aid

November 26, 2025
Business

EU lawmakers call to make it easier to suspend shopping platforms like Shein

November 26, 2025
Business

Pele’s brand acquired by family business of Neymar Jr.

November 25, 2025
Business

Kyrgyzstan arrests Chinese CEO of gold mining firm

November 25, 2025
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

79

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Trump ramps up Venezuela threats, warns airspace ‘closed’

November 29, 2025

Trump says Venezuela airspace should be considered ‘closed in its entirety’

November 29, 2025

Travel chaos fears ease after Airbus intervenes on software fix

November 29, 2025

How successful has OPEC+’s oil output policy been in 2025?

November 28, 2025
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.