EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

US weighs Google breakup in landmark trial

Andrew Murphy by Andrew Murphy
October 10, 2024
in Other
Reading Time: 6 mins read
A A
0
234
SHARES
2.9k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The US Department of Justice has said it would demand that Google make profound changes to how it does business . ©AFP

Washington (AFP) – The US Department of Justice said on Tuesday it would demand that Google make profound changes to how it does business and even consider the possibility of a breakup, after the tech juggernaut was found to be running an illegal monopoly. Determining how to address Google’s wrongs is the next stage of a landmark antitrust trial that saw the company in August judged a monopolist by US District Court Judge Amit Mehta. An order to break up Google or require deep changes on how it does business marks a profound change by the US government’s competition enforcers that have largely left tech giants alone since failing to break up Microsoft two decades ago. Google dismissed the idea as “radical.”

Related

Trump admin predicts US trade war ‘devastating’ for Canada

Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom

Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover

Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates

Canada’s Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks

The government told the judge in a court filing that it was considering options that included “structural” changes which could see them asking for a divestment of its smartphone Android operating system or its Chrome browser. The Department of Justice also said it could ask for the prohibition of Google’s default agreements with third parties that sees it pay tens of billions of dollars every year to Apple. Requiring Google to make its search data available to rivals was also on the table, it said. This case, focusing on Google’s search engine dominance, is part of a broader legal offensive against the company’s alleged antitrust violations in the United States. Google faces additional challenges from the DOJ regarding its advertising technology and recently lost a jury trial to Fortnite-maker Epic Games over its Google Play store practices.

The DOJ’s remedy proposals are part of a “high-level framework” outlining how it envisions implementing the court’s verdict. A more detailed request will be submitted in November, followed by arguments from both sides in a special hearing scheduled for April.

Google, in a blog post, criticized the government’s proposed remedies as “radical” and expressed concern that the DOJ’s requests “go far beyond the specific legal issues in this case.” Regardless of Judge Mehta’s eventual decision, Google is expected to appeal, potentially prolonging the process for years and possibly reaching the US Supreme Court.

The trial, which concluded last year, scrutinized Google’s confidential agreements with smartphone manufacturers, including Apple. These deals involve substantial payments to secure Google’s search engine as the default option on browsers, iPhones, and other devices. The judge determined that this arrangement provided Google with unparalleled access to user data, enabling it to develop its search engine into a globally dominant platform. From this position, Google expanded its tech empire to include the Chrome browser, Maps, and the Android smartphone operating system.

According to the judgment, Google controlled 90 percent of the US online search market in 2020, with an even higher share, 95 percent, on mobile devices. The filing came just a day after a US court on Monday ordered Google to open its Android smartphone operating system to rival app stores, the result of the company’s defeat in the Epic Games case. Google is appealing the order, which could reshape the mobile app landscape in the coming years.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: antitrustGooglelawsuit
Share94Tweet59Share16Pin21Send
Previous Post

7-Eleven owner confirms new takeover offer from Couche-Tard

Next Post

China says raised ‘serious concerns’ with US over trade curbs

Andrew Murphy

Andrew Murphy

Related Posts

Other

Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail

August 22, 2026
Other

In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater

August 22, 2026
Other

Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region

August 21, 2026
Other

Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports

August 21, 2026
Other

Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action

August 22, 2026
Other

Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge

August 21, 2026
Next Post

China says raised 'serious concerns' with US over trade curbs

Uniqlo owner reports record annual earnings

China's solar goes from supremacy to oversupply

7-Eleven owner restructures to fight takeover

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

103

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

VW chief warns carmaker’s situation ‘more than critical’

August 23, 2026

Trump admin predicts US trade war ‘devastating’ for Canada

August 23, 2026

After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia’s Ozon

August 23, 2026

Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom

August 23, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Your Privacy Choices

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2026 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.