EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

Zuckerberg grilled over underage users at social media trial

Thomas Barnes by Thomas Barnes
February 18, 2026
in Other
Reading Time: 8 mins read
A A
0
25
SHARES
312
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Meta CEO and Chairman Mark Zuckerberg arrives at Los Angeles Superior Court ahead of the social media trial tasked to determine whether social media giants deliberately designed their platforms to be addictive . ©AFP

Los Angeles (United States) (AFP) – CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Wednesday he regretted Meta’s slow progress in identifying underage users on Instagram, as he faced stinging criticism at a landmark social media trial over accusations that his company deliberately hooked children.

Related

Oil prices jump on toughening US posture on Iran as US stocks advance

US tech giants announce India deals at AI summit

US tech giant Nvidia announces India deals at AI summit

Struggling farmers find hope in India co-operative

Asian stocks up, oil market cautious

Asked to comment on complaints from inside the company that not enough was being done to verify whether children under 13 were using the platform, the 41-year-old head of Meta, which also owns Facebook and WhatsApp, said improvements had been made. But “I always wish that we could have gotten there sooner,” he added.

Zuckerberg was the most hotly anticipated witness in the California trial, the first in a series of lawsuits filed by American families against social media platforms. The trial marked the first time the multibillionaire addressed the safety of his world-dominating platforms directly before a jury and under oath. Zuckerberg was very reserved at first, an AFP journalist in the courtroom reported. But he grew animated, showing signs of annoyance, shaking his head and waving his hands as he turned toward the jury.

The 12 jurors in Los Angeles heard the increasingly testy testimony as plaintiff lawyer Mark Lanier pressed Zuckerberg on age verification and the tycoon’s guiding philosophy for making decisions at the vast social media company he controls. During questioning by his own lawyers, a more relaxed Zuckerberg described time spent on the app as a “side effect” of a quality experience and often addressed the jurors directly to emphasize his points.

He also stressed his belief that Apple and Google, the companies behind operating systems powering most of the world’s smartphones, should arrange for age verification at the handset level instead of leaving it to each app. “Doing it at the level of the phone is just a lot clearer than having every single app out there have to do this separately,” Zuckerberg said. “It would be pretty easy for them.”

Zuckerberg faced a barrage of internal emails, including warnings from colleagues that age verification was not fit for purpose and others that seemed to plainly display that encouraging more time spent on Instagram was long a central goal of the company. The trial is set to last until late March, when the jury will decide whether Meta, as well as Google-owned YouTube, bear responsibility for the mental health problems suffered by Kaley G.M., a 20-year-old California resident who has been a heavy social media user since childhood. Kaley G.M. started using YouTube at age six, Instagram at nine, then TikTok and Snapchat. Under-13s are not allowed on Instagram, and Lanier pressed Zuckerberg on the fact that Kaley had easily signed up for the platform.

– ‘Right place now’ – Zuckerberg was confronted with an internal document that said Instagram had four million users under 13 in 2015, at the time the plaintiff adopted the app, and that 30 percent of all children age 10 to 12, or “tweens,” in the United States were users. Zuckerberg said that “we’re in the right place now” when it comes to age verification.

Lanier went on to argue that young people like Kaley were subject to Meta’s efforts to increase time spent on its wildly popular apps, despite Zuckerberg having told the US Congress under oath that this was not the case. Faced with emails displaying internal targets for usage, Zuckerberg admitted that “we used to have goals around time,” but that the company’s aim was always to “build useful services” that connected people.

Zuckerberg was also read an old email from former head of public policy Nick Clegg that said “the fact that we say we don’t allow under-13s on our platform, yet have no way of enforcing it, is just indefensible.” The trial is set to determine whether Google and Meta deliberately designed their platforms to encourage compulsive use among young people, damaging their mental health in the process. The case is expected to establish a standard for resolving thousands of lawsuits that blame social media for fueling an epidemic of depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and suicide among young people. TikTok and Snapchat, also named in the complaint, reached settlements with the plaintiff before the trial began.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: mental healthMetasocial media
Share10Tweet6Share2Pin2Send
Previous Post

Zuckerberg tells jury regrets slow progress on spotting under-13s on Instagram

Next Post

Oil prices jump on toughening US posture on Iran as US stocks advance

Thomas Barnes

Thomas Barnes

Related Posts

Other

How Latin American countries are responding to Cuba’s oil crisis

February 17, 2026
Other

UK manufacturers struggle under sky-high energy bills

February 17, 2026
Other

New tech and AI set to take athlete data business to next level

February 18, 2026
Other

Warner Bros. says reopening talks with Paramount on its buyout offer

February 17, 2026
Other

Warner Bros. gives Paramount one week to outbid Netflix

February 17, 2026
Other

Warner Bros. says reopening talks with Paramount on its buyout offer

February 17, 2026
Next Post

Oil prices jump on toughening US posture on Iran as US stocks advance

Walmart results expected to highlight big plans for AI

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

81

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Walmart results expected to highlight big plans for AI

February 18, 2026

Oil prices jump on toughening US posture on Iran as US stocks advance

February 18, 2026

Zuckerberg grilled over underage users at social media trial

February 18, 2026

Zuckerberg tells jury regrets slow progress on spotting under-13s on Instagram

February 18, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.