EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

OPEC+ hikes oil production quotas, issues warning

Emma Reilly by Emma Reilly
April 5, 2026
in Other
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
1
41
SHARES
507
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The war has caused oil prices to surge worldwide. ©AFP

Vienna (AFP) – The OPEC+ oil cartel agreed on Sunday to again increase oil production quotas, while warning that repairing energy facilities, such as those damaged in the Middle East war, is “costly and takes a long time”. For the second month in a row, OPEC+ countries — which include key oil producers Russia and Saudi Arabia, as well as several Gulf countries that have been targets of Iranian airstrikes — agreed to raise quotas by 206,000 barrels per day (bpd) from May.

Related

Top UN court to rule on right to strike

Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes and Samsung union talks

SpaceX, the sprawling company targeting the stars, Mars and an IPO

The world built more coal power in 2025, but used less

Musk eyes Wall Street record with SpaceX IPO

But OPEC+ warned that damage to energy infrastructure increases oil market volatility, potentially hitting global supplies well into the future. Its statement also stressed “the critical importance of safeguarding international maritime routes to ensure the uninterrupted flow of energy”. The text did not mention the Iran war directly, but the conflict — which has roiled global energy markets and caused prices to surge — clearly weighed on the decision. The United States and Israel began striking Iran on February 28, and Tehran has retaliated by striking targets across the region.

In addition to hitting key energy facilities in a number of neighbouring countries, Iran has virtually halted ship traffic through the vital Strait of Hormuz by threatening to attack tankers passing without permission. That has badly restricted exports from the Gulf region, and raised questions about whether oil can reach global markets even if OPEC+ members in the region manage to ramp up production. Before the war, about a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas (LNG) passed through the Strait.

Ukraine has also been striking Russian oil industry facilities as it seeks to fight back against Moscow’s ongoing invasion. Last month, the eight-strong V8 (Voluntary Eight) group in the OPEC+ cartel also raised production quotas by 206,000 bpd. On Sunday, the V8 said in a statement that “any actions undermining energy supply security, whether through attacks on infrastructure or disruption of international maritime routes, increase market volatility” and make it more difficult for OPEC+ to manage global prices.

The eight countries — Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iraq, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Algeria and Oman — praised members that managed to find alternate exports routes to deliver oil, “which have contributed to reducing market volatility”.

© 2024 AFP

Share16Tweet10Share3Pin4Send
Previous Post

Trump threatens ‘hell’ for Iran over Strait of Hormuz

Next Post

War in the Middle East: latest developments

Emma Reilly

Emma Reilly

Related Posts

Other

Ubisoft counts cost of restructuring with record annual loss

May 20, 2026
Other

Mideast war drives up bond yields, budget risk

May 20, 2026
Other

Colosseum selfies, ‘Melody’ toffee and trade: Modi visits Rome

May 20, 2026
Other

Iran says US wants to ‘start new war’ after Trump threat

May 20, 2026
Other

UK eases sanctions on Russian jet fuel and diesel imports

May 20, 2026
Other

Oil retreats, stocks rise on cautious Mideast war hopes

May 20, 2026
Next Post

War in the Middle East: latest developments

Trump makes foul-mouthed threat to Iran after US airman rescued

Trump makes stark threat to Iran after US airman rescued

Tokyo, Seoul shares gain, war sends oil higher

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

97

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Top UN court to rule on right to strike

May 20, 2026

Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes and Samsung union talks

May 20, 2026

Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk’s X

May 20, 2026

SpaceX, the sprawling company targeting the stars, Mars and an IPO

May 20, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.