EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties

Thomas Barnes by Thomas Barnes
August 19, 2026
in Other
Reading Time: 8 mins read
A A
0
19
SHARES
236
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Oil prices rose after a report said Iran would look to prevent US and Israeli vessels from using the Strait of Hormuz in any deal with Oman. ©AFP

Tehran (AFP) – Iran’s armed forces warned Gulf countries against assisting the US military on Wednesday, hours after the United Arab Emirates announced it was severing economic ties with Tehran following new attacks on shipping. The Gulf is dotted with US military installations, including in the UAE, which said on Tuesday that Iran had fired two ballistic missiles at vessels off its coast. Despite a recent lull in hostilities between the United States and Iran, the Strait of Hormuz — which Tehran has blockaded — remains a flashpoint, and attacks on commercial ships have continued.

Related

Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off

Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut

Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days

New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm

Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report

A framework US-Iran deal aimed at reopening the vital trade corridor collapsed, and although both sides recently said messages were being exchanged, US President Donald Trump on Tuesday insisted talks were off, taunting Iran with a social media post depicting the strait as a “NEW U.S. Territory”. Iranian armed forces chief of staff Ali Abdollahi, according to the Mehr news agency, warned “any assistance or facilitation provided to the aggressor US military amounts to participation in the US military operation”. The conflict broke out on February 28 with US-Israeli attacks on the Islamic republic, which retaliated with missile and drone strikes across the region.

Since the start of the war, many Middle Eastern countries have said they would not allow the United States to use their territory as a launchpad for attacks, though Abdollahi cast doubt on those promises. “It seems unlikely that such a large number of military aircraft, particularly refuelling aircraft, could be present at regional bases without knowledge of host countries,” said Abdollahi, adding Gulf countries “should know that we are fully aware of the situation”. Media outlets have reported that Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Bahrain have all hit targets in Iran in retaliation for Tehran’s attacks on the Gulf, though the countries have mostly denied the reports.

On Tuesday, the UAE announced that it was suspending all economic dealings with Iran. “In light of regional escalations…all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice,” foreign ministry communications director Afra Al Hameli said. Earlier in the day, Abu Dhabi accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles towards the country, later clarifying that the salvo was directed at shipping. The neighbors across the Gulf share deep cultural and historical ties, and the UAE — home to a sizable Iranian community — had been a major trading partner for US-sanctioned Iran, at least before the war. The UAE recalled its ambassador to Tehran early in the conflict and has shut Iran-linked schools and a hospital. Tankers belonging to the UAE’s state-owned oil company ADNOC have been repeatedly targeted in the past few weeks.

Top US diplomat Marco Rubio spoke to the UAE’s national security adviser by phone on Tuesday to discuss “coordination to hold Iran and its terrorist proxies accountable for ongoing attacks,” as well as the importance of free passage through Hormuz. Diplomatic efforts to settle the conflict have stalled, but Trump’s envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner had said on Monday that the United States and Iran were having “very positive and active conversations.” The president, however, denied that was the case on Tuesday, again insisting that the Strait of Hormuz was open, despite the Iranian blockade having throttled traffic for months.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect,” Trump wrote on social media, referring to a US counter-blockade of Iranian ports. Earlier, Trump had posted a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as a “NEW U.S. Territory,” echoing a previous threat to annex the conduit for oil and gas shipments. The US has largely paused military operations, with US media reporting the war has put a strain on stockpiles of essential munitions, which Trump and the Pentagon have publicly denied.

With months of US military operations having failed to decisively end the conflict, Iranian officials have publicly struck a defiant tone in the face of ongoing threats from Washington. Iran’s parliament speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf visited Iraq, saying the trip was “aimed at strengthening the new order in the region” and boosting cooperation “without foreign interference.” “Resistance in Iraq is also one of the elements of this country’s power,” he said, in an apparent reference to the pro-Iran armed groups operating inside the country.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: IranMiddle Eastmilitary
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off

Next Post

UK media skewered for ‘hounding’ black academic

Thomas Barnes

Thomas Barnes

Related Posts

Other

Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors

August 19, 2026
Other

Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms

August 18, 2026
Other

Meta in court over child social media addiction

August 18, 2026
Other

Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise

August 19, 2026
Other

German farmers warn of drought toll on grain harvest

August 19, 2026
Other

Crude extends gains, most stocks drop as Mideast hopes dim

August 18, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

103

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties

August 19, 2026

Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off

August 19, 2026

Europe can’t afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief

August 19, 2026

Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut

August 19, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Your Privacy Choices

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2026 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.