EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

EasyJet posts deeper first-half loss on Mideast war

Natalie Fisher by Natalie Fisher
May 21, 2026
in Business
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
3
30
SHARES
369
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The US-Iran conflict has upended travel plans. ©AFP

London (AFP) – British no-frills airline EasyJet said Thursday that its losses deepened in the six months to end-March after the Middle East war sent jet fuel prices soaring. The headline loss after tax came in at £377 million ($506 million) for the first half of its financial year, a rise of 27 percent from the period a year earlier, as the US-Iran conflict also upended travel plans, the carrier said. Revenue jumped 12 percent to £3.954 billion as passenger numbers rose six percent over the reporting period. The group said it was also buoyed by strong growth for its package holidays.

Related

‘Breakthrough’ mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial

France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths

UK media skewered for ‘hounding’ black academic

French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash

Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses

EasyJet said “it has been impacted by the Middle East conflict through higher fuel costs and lower forward visibility.” It confirmed an estimate given in April that the war had increased fuel costs by £25 million. While the group saw no disruption to fuel supplies, the second half of its financial year “will be impacted by the conflict in the Middle East, with higher fuel costs and near‑term uncertainty around customer demand.” “Overall bookings for the summer period are behind where they were at this point last year,” it added.

EasyJet said its first-half performance was also impacted by a £32 million “increase in legal provisions across a number of historic cases.” Chief executive Kenton Jarvis said that “despite conflict in the Middle East creating near‑term uncertainty, EasyJet is well placed to manage the current environment.” He added in a call with journalists that minimum ticket prices would rise for the quieter winter season. Following the updates, EasyJet’s share price traded up 0.8 percent.

“The picture remains challenging,” said Aarin Chiekrie, an equity analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown. “Demand is taking a hit, with bookings for the second half tracking two percentage points below last year’s levels as sunseekers leave it later to lock in their travel plans,” he said. “Even if the Middle East conflict is resolved in the near term, fuel prices are likely to remain elevated for some time,” he added. EasyJet rival Ryanair on Monday said its annual net profit jumped more than a third but warned that the Middle East war had clouded its outlook for the year ahead.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: aviationfuel pricesMiddle East conflict
Share12Tweet8Share2Pin3Send
Previous Post

Ubisoft shares plunge after grim annual results

Next Post

Rich nations topped $100 bn climate finance goal again in 2023, 2024: OECD

Natalie Fisher

Natalie Fisher

Related Posts

Business

Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages

August 17, 2026
Business

Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital

August 17, 2026
Business

Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states’ merger lawsuit

August 17, 2026
Business

Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office

August 16, 2026
Business

As Opel turns to Chinese partners, its hometown frets about the future

August 15, 2026
Business

easyJet strike sees 100 French flights cancelled

August 15, 2026
Next Post

Rich nations topped $100 bn climate finance goal again in 2023, 2024: OECD

EU slashes eurozone 2026 growth forecast on Mideast war

Oil gains, European stocks down on uncertain Mideast peace prospects

Samsung chip employees to get average $338,000 bonus under strike deal

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
3 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

103

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high

August 19, 2026

Some of Meta’s safety tools were ‘designed to fail’: witness

August 19, 2026

‘Breakthrough’ mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial

August 19, 2026

Merck and Moderna’s tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial

August 19, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Your Privacy Choices

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2026 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.