EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Thursday, August 28, 2025
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

EU still seeks Trump trade deal — but readies retaliation

Natalie Fisher by Natalie Fisher
July 14, 2025
in Economy
Reading Time: 7 mins read
A A
0
25
SHARES
314
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Trump has threatened Europe with higher tariffs starting August 1. ©AFP

Brussels (Belgium) (AFP) – The EU on Monday moved to firm up possible retaliation if US President Donald Trump hits the bloc with 30-percent tariffs, while insisting it was still looking to clinch a deal by August 1. Trade chief Maros Sefcovic said Brussels was putting forward a list of US goods worth 72 billion euros ($84 billion) that could be targeted with levies if talks fail. “The EU, as you know very well, never walks away without genuine effort, especially considering the hard work invested, how close we find ourselves to making a deal,” he said after meeting EU ministers. “But it takes two hands to clap.”

Related

US ends tariff exemption for small packages shipped globally

Trump thumbs nose at decades of India courtship

Trump moves to end US tariff exemption for small packages

Luxury carmaker Lotus to slash UK jobs amid US tariffs

US Fed Governor Lisa Cook sues Trump over move to fire her

Trump threw months of painstaking talks into disarray on Saturday by announcing he would hammer the bloc with the sweeping tariffs if no agreement is reached by August 1. Sefcovic, the EU’s pointman with Washington, said he planned to speak to US counterparts later Monday to try to get negotiations back on track. EU ministers roundly backed the push to try to salvage the talks — which Brussels believed were on the cusp of success last week — and to keep on trying to find an accord. But they also agreed to move ahead with readying a retaliation if Trump makes good on his threat.

“There was a total unified position among the ministers that we should be ready to respond if needed,” said Denmark’s foreign minister, Lars Lokke Rasmussen, whose country holds the EU’s rotating presidency. “If you want peace, you have to prepare for war.” Brussels has been working on the list of US imports it could target since May — landing on the 72-billion-euro package after lobbying from member states. The EU has already prepared a separate list of US imports worth 21 billion euros that it is ready to target over earlier tariffs from Trump on steel and aluminium. European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen delayed rolling out those measures on Sunday — a day before they were set to kick in — as a sign of goodwill towards Washington.

– ‘No taboos’ – Before heading into the meeting with EU ministers, Sefcovic warned that if Trump did impose 30-percent tariffs it would make trade “almost impossible” between the two economic giants. “Practically it prohibits the trade,” he said. EU nations — some of which export far more to the United States than others — have sought to stay on the same page over how strong a line to take with Washington in order to get a deal. France’s trade minister Laurent Saint-Martin said retaliation plans should be drawn up with “no taboos,” adding that the weekend’s setback called for a rethink of the bloc’s tactics. “If you hold anything back, you are not strengthening your hand in negotiations,” he said at the Brussels talks. “Obviously, the situation since Saturday requires us to change our strategy.”

– Deals and duties – Since returning to the presidency in January, Trump has unleashed sweeping stop-start tariffs on allies and competitors alike, roiling financial markets and raising fears of a global economic downturn. But his administration faces pressure to secure deals with trading partners after promising a flurry of agreements. So far, US officials have only unveiled two pacts, with Britain and Vietnam, alongside temporarily lower tit-for-tat duties with China. The EU, alongside dozens of other economies, had been set to see its US tariff level increase from a baseline of 10 percent last Wednesday, but Trump pushed back the deadline to August 1. The EU tariff is markedly steeper than the 20 percent levy Trump unveiled in April — but paused initially until mid-July. Thomas Byrne, the minister for Ireland whose pharmaceutical industry puts it on the front line of Trump’s trade war along with industrial powerhouse Germany, called for Europe to “work our hardest” for a deal before August 1. “That gives us certainty, it protects investments, it protects jobs,” he said.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: EUtariffstrade
Share10Tweet6Share2Pin2Send
Previous Post

Stocks slide on Trump tariff threat against EU

Next Post

LVMH Italian fashion house Loro Piana put under court administration

Natalie Fisher

Natalie Fisher

Related Posts

Economy

Ex-Fed chief says Trump bid to oust US governor Cook ‘dangerous’

August 28, 2025
Economy

Swiss economy set to slow due to US tariffs

August 28, 2025
Economy

Norway, environmentalists back in court over oil field permits

August 28, 2025
Economy

Ex-Fed chief says Trump bid to oust US governor Cook ‘dangerous’

August 27, 2025
Economy

German factory outfitters warn of ‘crisis’ from US tariffs

August 27, 2025
Economy

Australia joins countries suspending post to US

August 27, 2025
Next Post

LVMH Italian fashion house Loro Piana put under court administration

Ukraine's Zelensky proposes new PM, defence minister in major reshuffle

Markets shrug off Trump tariff threat against EU

Elon Musk's xAI inks Pentagon deal for contentious Grok chatbot

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

77

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Cash-strapped Taliban look to airspace for windfall

August 28, 2025

Trump thumbs nose at decades of India courtship

August 28, 2025

Trump moves to end US tariff exemption for small packages

August 28, 2025

US stocks reach new peaks as investors digest US GDP

August 28, 2025
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.