EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

Berlin wary as Berlusconi group closer to German media takeover

Natalie Fisher by Natalie Fisher
August 6, 2025
in Other
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
0
19
SHARES
242
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

ProSiebenSat.1 is one of Germany's biggest media groups. ©AFP

Frankfurt (Germany) (AFP) – An Italian media group majority-owned by late leader Silvio Berlusconi’s family moved closer to taking over a German broadcasting giant Wednesday, sparking warnings from Berlin that its journalistic independence must be maintained.

Related

Oil gains, European stocks down on uncertain Mideast peace prospects

Tourists in Thailand plan for coming cuts to visa-free stays

Top UN court to rule on right to strike

Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes, Samsung union talks

SpaceX, the sprawling company targeting the stars, Mars and an IPO

ProSiebenSat.1, one of Germany’s biggest private broadcasting groups, recommended its shareholders accept a fresh offer presented by MediaForEurope (MFE) last week, valuing the German company at nearly 1.9 billion euros ($2.2 billion). MFE, led by Pier Silvio Berlusconi, son of the late media tycoon and former politician, aims to build a pan-European group big enough to compete with increasingly popular streaming giants such as Netflix.

The German government has however been wary of the potential takeover by MFE, and German Culture Minister Wolfram Weimer was quick to express concerns after ProSieben’s recommendation. “Should MFE actually gain majority control of ProSiebenSat.1, we expect the editorial independence of the newsrooms to be preserved,” he said on X, adding that any future cross-border European media group should be headquartered in Munich, where ProSieben is currently based. Weimer also added that he would discuss the mooted takeover with Pier Silvio Berlusconi in Berlin in September.

Announcing its decision to back MFE’s latest offer, the German group said the bid “underscores MFE’s long-term investment and continued commitment to ProSiebenSat.1.” A deal could also deliver annual savings of 150 million euros, it said in a statement.

– Rival Czech suitor –

The Italians, who already had a substantial stake in ProSieben, had been competing with Czech group PPF for the German broadcasting giant. Last week, MFE boosted the share component of its bid to 1.3 MFE shares for each of ProSieben’s shares, while keeping the cash component the same at 4.48 euros per share. This values the shares of the German group at around eight euros, above PPF’s all-cash offer of seven euros a share, which aimed to double its holding. PPF decided not to raise its own offer.

MFE, the biggest commercial television network in Italy and one of the biggest in Europe, did not respond to ProSieben’s announcement Wednesday. But announcing its improved offer last week, Pier Silvio Berlusconi said MFE was aiming to “build what is still lacking: a strong, locally rooted European group of sufficient size to compete globally.” He also stressed that “MFE has always upheld its founding values: business ethics, pluralism, freedom of information, employment protection. It will continue to uphold these values at all times and everywhere.”

Formerly known as Mediaset, MFE has sought to acquire ProSieben on several occasions in the past — its first attempt was back in 2003, with Berlin opposing the move. Silvio Berlusconi, who dominated Italian politics in the late 1990s and early 2000s, died in 2023.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: acquisitionGermanymedia
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

Italy approves plans for world’s longest suspension bridge

Next Post

Stocks higher with eyes on earnings, US tariff deadline

Natalie Fisher

Natalie Fisher

Related Posts

Other

The world built more coal power in 2025, but used less

May 21, 2026
Other

Musk eyes Wall Street record with SpaceX IPO

May 20, 2026
Other

Ubisoft counts cost of restructuring with record annual loss

May 20, 2026
Other

Mideast war drives up bond yields, budget risk

May 20, 2026
Other

Colosseum selfies, ‘Melody’ toffee and trade: Modi visits Rome

May 20, 2026
Other

Iran says US wants to ‘start new war’ after Trump threat

May 20, 2026
Next Post

Stocks higher with eyes on earnings, US tariff deadline

Swiss president hopes Washington talks avert surprise tariff

Trump hikes India levy over Russian oil as tariff deadline looms

McDonald's sees US rebound but says low-income diners remain stressed

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

97

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Samsung chip employees to get average $338,000 bonus under strike deal

May 21, 2026

Oil gains, European stocks down on uncertain Mideast peace prospects

May 21, 2026

EU slashes eurozone 2026 growth forecast on Mideast war

May 21, 2026

Rich nations topped $100 bn climate finance goal again in 2023, 2024: OECD

May 21, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.