EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses

David Peterson by David Peterson
August 18, 2026
in Business
Reading Time: 6 mins read
A A
0
21
SHARES
260
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

ABC is accusing the Federal Communications Commission of waging a retaliatory campaign against the Disney-owned network. ©AFP

Washington (United States) (AFP) – Walt Disney-owned ABC sued the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Tuesday, accusing the US regulatory body of waging a retaliatory campaign against the television network on behalf of the Trump administration. The lawsuit, filed in a federal district court in Washington, comes after the FCC earlier this year asked ABC TV stations to renew their broadcast licenses earlier than scheduled.

Related

French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash

Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages

Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital

Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states’ merger lawsuit

Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office

“Acting through the Federal Communications Commission, the Administration has waged a retaliatory campaign against ABC for a single reason: it disapproves of what ABC broadcasts,” the suit says. “Over time, those attacks have escalated into express demands that ABC be stripped of its broadcast licenses because of its speech.” President Donald Trump has personally lashed out at ABC — particularly the network’s late-night host Jimmy Kimmel — on numerous occasions and suggested revoking the broadcast licenses of stations he claims are “almost 100% negative” towards him.

The famously litigious Republican president has filed a number of defamation lawsuits against media outlets, including suing ABC over statements about a civil judgment in a sexual assault case. He took CBS to court for allegedly misleading viewers by airing different clips of the same answer from an interview with 2024 Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris. The cases involving ABC and CBS ended in December 2024 and July 2025 with the broadcasters promising to pay $15 million and $16 million, respectively. Other ongoing cases include a $10 billion lawsuit against the BBC over an allegedly misleading edit of one of his speeches and one against The Wall Street Journal over the publication of a salacious birthday letter he allegedly sent to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

– ‘Government intimidation’ –

In its lawsuit filed on Tuesday, Disney and ABC said the Trump administration has “steadily increased the pressure on ABC, culminating in the present threat to the broadcasting licenses of the eight ABC Owned Stations.” The Commission has demanded a review of the Stations’ licenses extraordinarily early,” it says. “That timing underscores the Commission’s true purpose: coercing and retaliating against a network that refuses to bow to the Administration’s demands.” “Facing this existential threat, Plaintiffs have no choice but to seek redress from the judicial branch for the Administration’s blatant retaliation for their First Amendment speech,” the suit says.

ABC and Disney asked the court to issue a restraining order preventing the FCC from taking any action against the network’s broadcasting licenses, which were not up for renewal until 2028. Anna Gomez, the sole commissioner on the FCC appointed by a Democratic president, welcomed the lawsuit as pushback against what she called “government intimidation.” “For months, the FCC has waged a campaign of censorship and control against Disney’s ABC stations, using the threat of broadcast license revocations to punish a company for speech this administration doesn’t like,” Gomez said in a statement. “It is time this administration understands that the Constitution does not bend to political convenience, and that the First Amendment protects the news and commentary Americans see on their screens even when those in power wish it didn’t,” she added.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: DisneyDonald Trumpfreedom of speech
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms

Next Post

French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash

David Peterson

David Peterson

Related Posts

Business

As Opel turns to Chinese partners, its hometown frets about the future

August 15, 2026
Business

easyJet strike sees 100 French flights cancelled

August 15, 2026
Business

‘I shot Mr Thompson’: Stunning confession in US health exec’s slaying

August 16, 2026
Business

Premier League club Liverpool sell minority stake to Jeff Bezos consortium

August 16, 2026
Business

EU to study potential vaccine for Lyme disease: companies

August 14, 2026
Business

Australia probes three near-misses at Sydney Airport

August 13, 2026
Next Post

French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

103

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash

August 18, 2026

Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses

August 18, 2026

Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms

August 18, 2026

Meta in court over child social media addiction

August 18, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Your Privacy Choices

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2026 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.