EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

Operation to pull out illegal miners from abandoned S. African pit

David Peterson by David Peterson
January 13, 2025
in Economy
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
2
35
SHARES
443
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Rescuers and South African Police Service (SAPS) officers carry remains in blue body bags during the rescue operation. ©AFP

Stilfontein (South Africa) (AFP) – Rescuers on Monday hoisted seven illegal miners and at least four bodies from an abandoned South African gold mine amid claims that hundreds were still underground and many had died. A professional mine rescue company sent a large cage to retrieve men at the site near Stilfontein, about 140 kilometres (90 miles) southwest of Johannesburg.

Related

Japan inflation slows more than expected in April

With Fed under intense Trump pressure, new chief to be sworn in at White House

California governor orders a plan to cope with AI job upheaval

EU slashes eurozone 2026 growth forecast on Mideast war

Rich nations topped $100 bn climate finance goal again in 2023, 2024: OECD

“We can confirm to you that the machine is working. It has brought up seven people,” civic representative Mzukisi Jam told reporters at the site. At least four bodies were also retrieved, community leader Johannes Qankase told AFP. Video filmed by AFP at the site showed what appeared to be several body bags being removed from the cage.

The operation on Monday follows a weeks-long saga at the abandoned shaft where authorities have been accused of trying to force the miners to surface by throttling food and water supplies lowered to them by the surrounding community. It is not clear how many people are in the shaft. There were claims in mid-November that up to 4,000 people were underground, but police have said the figure was probably in the hundreds.

Jam, from the South African National Civics Organisation (SANCO), said that with the operation underway, the organisers should get a clear idea of how many people were still underground. The company sending down the machine, which is called a Rescue Winder, had been given 10 days to complete the operation, he said. Six bodies were brought up from the mine in early December and one in November. There have been claims recently that there were more than 100 corpses underground.

Two miners’ rights groups released a video Monday they said was filmed at the shaft showing what appears to be several corpses wrapped in plastic. Rights groups have taken the government to court to compel it to extract the miners and provide humanitarian assistance. Over the past weeks, a few dozen miners have exited the shaft and reported dire conditions underground, including acute hunger and dehydration. Some were arrested for being in South Africa without proper documentation.

Thousands of illegal miners, many of them hailing from other countries, are said to operate in abandoned mine shafts in mineral-rich South Africa. Locally known as “zama zamas” — “those who try” in the Zulu language — the miners frustrate mining companies and are accused of criminality by residents.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: human rightsminingSouth Africa
Share14Tweet9Share2Pin3Send
Previous Post

Trump’s return threatens resurgence of trade wars

Next Post

US announces new restrictions on AI chip exports

David Peterson

David Peterson

Related Posts

Economy

Fighting over a chicken in protest-hit La Paz

May 21, 2026
Economy

‘Majority’ of US Fed officials say rate hikes may be needed

May 20, 2026
Economy

Opposition backlash as Macron’s choice gets nod for central bank

May 20, 2026
Economy

Samsung union says South Korea strike on hold ‘until further notice’

May 20, 2026
Economy

French lawmakers back Macron choice to run Bank of France

May 20, 2026
Economy

Indonesia’s Prabowo announces export controls for coal, palm oil

May 20, 2026
Next Post

US announces new restrictions on AI chip exports

Stock markets mostly fall as traders trim US rate cut bets

Trial over Apple App Store 'surcharge' opens in UK

NATO Baltic leaders seek to boost security after cable 'sabotage'

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

97

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Japan inflation slows more than expected in April

May 21, 2026

Asian equities climb on Mideast optimism, oil edges higher

May 21, 2026

Windfall settlement, stock trades: Trump accused of ‘brazen’ corruption

May 21, 2026

With Fed under intense Trump pressure, new chief to be sworn in at White House

May 21, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.