EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas

Andrew Murphy by Andrew Murphy
August 19, 2026
in Economy
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
0
19
SHARES
236
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The number of rough sleepers in England reached a record 4,793 in 2025, according to government figures. ©AFP

London (AFP) – New UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham unveiled plans Wednesday to offer those sleeping rough a route off the streets by Christmas, as part of his bid to curb national homelessness. “No one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station. But we’ve seen it for so long that it feels like Westminster has started to accept it,” Burnham said in a statement.

Related

Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs

How families in Milei’s Argentina sank deep into debt

Chinese ship sets off for Europe through Arctic, halving travel time

US retail sales weakest in over a year in July

Spain extends largest nuclear plant in policy U-turn

The announcement comes a month after Burnham replaced Keir Starmer as prime minister and builds on his promise on his first day in office to end rough sleeping. His government is now setting out the next steps in how that could be achieved, with emergency accommodation and long-term housing support to be put in place across England this winter.

Under the programme, areas facing the highest levels of homelessness and housing pressure will receive the largest share of a boosted £442 million ($666 million) in funding. The number of rough sleepers in England reached a record 4,793 in 2025, according to government figures. Rough sleepers — those sleeping outdoors — are a minority of England’s total homelessness, estimated at 382,000 in 2025 by leading charity Shelter. This larger figure includes those lacking a permanent residence or security of tenure, and includes families and children.

The figures show little sign of budging, with the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) think tank warning earlier this year that the figure could increase by 25 percent by 2030. The government’s initiative aims to build on efforts developed during the Covid-19 pandemic, when large numbers of rough sleepers were moved into temporary accommodation. “We did it in the pandemic. We can do it again. But it needs all of us,” Burnham said.

He also unveiled plans for what the government described as the first national summit dedicated to tackling rough sleeping to be held later in the year. The event will bring together representatives from business, finance, charities, healthcare organisations, and faith groups to discuss how different sectors can contribute to reducing homelessness.

The government said the funding package would not only provide immediate accommodation but also support the creation of more than 1,000 permanent homes over the next three years. Housing Secretary Angela Rayner said the government was moving “urgently from words to action” following Burnham’s pledge. “This funding will help thousands of people leave the streets behind, move into secure homes, and get the support they need to rebuild their lives,” she said.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: homelessnesshousingsocial issues
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days

Next Post

Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut

Andrew Murphy

Andrew Murphy

Related Posts

Economy

Indonesian leader vows to shut over 750 ‘unproductive’ state-owned firms

August 14, 2026
Economy

Trump announces tariffs of up to 100% on imported drones

August 14, 2026
Economy

Romania shuts nuclear plant as Danube drops

August 14, 2026
Economy

Outflanked by AI, stars fade for South Korea’s blind fortune-tellers

August 13, 2026
Economy

Trump ‘low-key’ bets on economic pressure against Iran

August 12, 2026
Economy

Russian economy rebounds in second quarter despite Ukrainian strikes

August 12, 2026
Next Post

Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

103

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut

August 19, 2026

UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas

August 19, 2026

Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days

August 19, 2026

Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff

August 19, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Your Privacy Choices

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2026 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.