EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

US giant to buy stake in cash-short Australian casino group

David Peterson by David Peterson
April 7, 2025
in Other
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
2
20
SHARES
247
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

US-based casino giant Bally's Corporation has agreed to inject Aus$300 million in troubled Australian operator Star Entertainment . ©AFP

Sydney (AFP) – Troubled Australian casino operator Star Entertainment says it has been thrown an 11th hour multi-million dollar lifeline by US-based casino giant Bally’s Corporation. Star’s business — including casinos, bars, restaurants and hotels at resorts in Sydney, Brisbane, and the Gold Coast — has been hovering close to entering administration for months.

Related

Lights out, crowds gone: Havana waits for what comes next

Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen’s suicide

Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall

Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist

Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030

Bally’s has agreed to inject Aus$300 million (US$187 million) for a 56.7-percent stake in Star, the two firms said in separate statements late Monday. The US group is to make an initial payment of Aus$100 million on Wednesday, with the rest due after the approval of shareholders and regulators. “This transaction provides Bally’s the opportunity to infuse The Star with what it needs to regain its position as Australia’s preeminent gaming destination,” Bally’s chairman Soo Kim said.

Star said it was also talking to its biggest shareholder, Investment Holding, about joining the deal with an Aus$100 million injection. If that deal went ahead, Bally’s participation would drop to Aus$200 million. Shares in Star, which employs more than 8,000 people, have been suspended from trading since March 3 after it failed to post half-year financial results citing liquidity woes.

The casino said in a statement late Monday it intended to “unanimously recommend” the deal to shareholders in the absence of a better offer. Bally’s manages 19 casinos across the United States, a golf course in New York, and a horse racing track in Colorado.

Star Entertainment last traded at Aus$0.11 a share with a market capitalisation of Aus$316 million — a far cry from its Aus$5 billion-plus value of seven years ago. Its finances were squeezed by the cost of developing its Brisbane resort, the threat of an anti-money laundering fine, and stricter regulation in the industry, according to the Australian Financial Review. The company has previously been accused of not adequately policing criminal infiltration and doing little to vet the sources of money coming into the business.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: acquisitiongaminginvestment
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

Trump vows no tariff pause as markets dive

Next Post

Nippon Steel shares soar as Trump reviews US Steel takeover

David Peterson

David Peterson

Related Posts

Other

Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries

August 17, 2026
Other

Heat is on as German winegrowers struggle to protect vines

August 17, 2026
Other

Stocks slip in cautious trading after weak US retail sales data

August 17, 2026
Other

US retail sales weakest in over a year, consumer sentiment plunges

August 14, 2026
Other

Stocks slip in cautious trading, oil turns higher

August 14, 2026
Other

Stocks tread water with eyes on oil price

August 14, 2026
Next Post

Nippon Steel shares soar as Trump reviews US Steel takeover

Samsung forecast beats market expectations for first quarter

Markets stage mild rebound but Trump tariff uncertainty reigns

China vows 'fight to the end' as Trump warns 50% more tariffs

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

103

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital

August 17, 2026

Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states’ merger lawsuit

August 17, 2026

US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices

August 17, 2026

OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia

August 17, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Your Privacy Choices

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2026 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.