EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Tech

Zuckerberg tells jury regrets slow progress on spotting under-13s on Instagram

Andrew Murphy by Andrew Murphy
February 18, 2026
in Tech
Reading Time: 7 mins read
A A
2
20
SHARES
248
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Meta CEO and Chairman Mark Zuckerberg arrives at Los Angeles Superior Court ahead of the social media trial tasked to determine whether social media giants deliberately designed their platforms to be addictive . ©AFP

Los Angeles (United States) (AFP) – Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Wednesday said he regretted the slow progress his company made in identifying underage users on Instagram as he testified at a landmark social media addiction trial in Los Angeles. Asked to comment on complaints from inside the company that not enough was being done to verify whether children under 13 were using the platform, the 41-year-old head of Meta, which also owns Facebook and WhatsApp, said improvements had been made. But “I always wish that we could have gotten there sooner,” he added.

Related

Zuckerberg tells jury regrets slow progress on spotting under-13s on Instagram

Uncut gems: Indian startups embrace AI despite job fears

AI chatbots to face UK safety rules after outcry over Grok

ByteDance vows to boost safeguards after AI model infringement claims

India plans AI ‘data city’ on staggering scale

Zuckerberg was the most hotly anticipated witness in the California trial, the first in a series of cases that could set legal precedent for thousands of lawsuits filed by American families against social media platforms. The trial marked the first time the multibillionaire addressed the safety of his world-dominating platforms directly before a jury. Zuckerberg was very reserved at first, an AFP journalist in the courtroom reported, but then he began to grow animated, showing signs of annoyance, shaking his head and waving his hands as he turned toward the jury.

The 12 jurors in Los Angeles heard the increasingly testy testimony as plaintiff lawyer Mark Lanier pressed Zuckerberg on age verification and his guiding philosophy for making decisions at the vast social media company he controls. The trial is set to last until late March, when the jury will decide whether Google-owned YouTube and Meta’s Instagram bear responsibility for the mental health problems suffered by Kaley G.M., a 20-year-old California resident who has been a heavy social media user since childhood. Kaley G.M. started using YouTube at age six, Instagram at nine, then TikTok and Snapchat. Under-13s are not allowed on Instagram, and Lanier pressed Zuckerberg on the fact that Kaylee had easily signed up for the platform despite rules that were buried deep in the user agreement, which he said a child could not be expected to read.

Zuckerberg was confronted with an internal document that said Instagram had four million users under 13 in 2015, at the time of the plaintiff’s adoption of the app, and that 30 percent of all 10- to 12-year-olds in the United States were users. Zuckerberg said that “we’re in the right place now” when it comes to age verification, and that new tools and methods would be added over time. Lanier went on to argue that when enforcement of these rules were more lax, young people like Kaley were also subject to Meta’s efforts to increase time spent on its world-dominating apps.

Zuckerberg admitted that “we did used to have goals around time,” but that the company’s goal was always to “build useful services that help people connect to the people they care about and learn about the world.” The trial will determine whether Google and Meta deliberately designed their platforms to encourage compulsive use among young people, damaging their mental health in the process. The case, along with two similar trials scheduled in Los Angeles this summer, aims to establish a standard for resolving thousands of lawsuits that blame social media for fueling an epidemic of depression, anxiety, eating disorders and suicide among young people.

The proceedings focus solely on app design, algorithms and personalization features, since US law grants platforms nearly complete immunity from liability over user-generated content. TikTok and Snapchat, also named in the complaint, reached confidential settlements with the plaintiff before the trial began. The Los Angeles proceedings are running parallel to a similar nationwide case before a federal judge in Oakland, California, which could result in another trial in 2026. Meta is also facing trial this month in New Mexico, where prosecutors accuse the company of prioritizing profits over protecting minors from sexual predators.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: child protectionmental healthsocial media
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

Glencore still open to ‘mega-miner’ deal after Rio collapse

Next Post

Zuckerberg tells jury regrets slow progress on spotting under-13s on Instagram

Andrew Murphy

Andrew Murphy

Related Posts

Tech

All-in on AI: what TikTok creator ByteDance did next

February 15, 2026
Tech

Russia is cracking down on WhatsApp and Telegram. Here’s what we know

February 12, 2026
Tech

Russia confirms ban on WhatsApp, says it failed to abide by law

February 12, 2026
Tech

Russia confirms ban on WhatsApp, says it failed to abide by law

February 12, 2026
Tech

xAI sees key staff exits, Musk promises moon factories

February 11, 2026
Tech

French AI firm Mistral to build data centres in Sweden

February 11, 2026
Next Post

Zuckerberg tells jury regrets slow progress on spotting under-13s on Instagram

Zuckerberg grilled over underage users at social media trial

Oil prices jump on toughening US posture on Iran as US stocks advance

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

81

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Oil prices jump on toughening US posture on Iran as US stocks advance

February 18, 2026

Zuckerberg grilled over underage users at social media trial

February 18, 2026

Zuckerberg tells jury regrets slow progress on spotting under-13s on Instagram

February 18, 2026

Zuckerberg tells jury regrets slow progress on spotting under-13s on Instagram

February 18, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.