EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Germany’s Merz casts doubt on European fighter jet plan

Natalie Fisher by Natalie Fisher
February 18, 2026
in Business
Reading Time: 8 mins read
A A
1
19
SHARES
236
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A mock-up of the European New Generation Fighter for the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) at the International Paris Air Show on June 18, 2023 . ©AFP

Berlin (AFP) – Germany does not need the same new fighter jets as France, Chancellor Friedrich Merz said Wednesday, signalling that Berlin could abandon a flagship joint defence project for Europe. “The French need, in the next generation of fighter jets, an aircraft capable of carrying nuclear weapons and operating from an aircraft carrier,” Merz told the German podcast Machtwechsel. “That’s not what we currently need in the German military,” he said.

Related

Glencore still open to ‘mega-miner’ deal after Rio collapse

Greek taxis kick off two-day strike against private operators

Zuckerberg to testify in landmark social media addiction trial

Bayer proposes class settlement for weedkiller cancer claims

Bayer proposes class settlement for weedkiller cancer claims

The Future Combat Aircraft System (FCAS) project was launched in 2017 to replace France’s Rafale jet and the Eurofighters used by Germany and Spain, to come into service around 2040. But the scheme, jointly developed by the three countries, has stalled in the past year as France’s Dassault Aviation gotten into disputes with Airbus Space and Defence over control of the project. The office of French President Emmanuel Macron said in response that he “remains committed to the success” of the project.

“The military needs of the three participating states have not changed, and these needs included from the outset French [nuclear] deterrence as well as the other missions of the future aircraft,” the Elysee Palace said in a statement while Macron was travelling in India. “Given the strategic stakes for Europe, it would be incomprehensible if industrial differences could not be overcome, especially as we must collectively demonstrate unity and performance in all areas concerning its industry, technology, and defence,” it added.

Discord over FCAS has stoked concerns that French-German ties are under strain, following recent disagreements on defence spending and on French efforts to derail an EU trade deal with the Mercosur bloc of South American countries. Germany’s foreign minister sought Wednesday to shut down talk of worsening relations with France, telling AFP that Paris remains Berlin’s “closest partner and most important friend in Europe.” Failure to get FCAS off the ground would also be a blow to broader efforts by European NATO allies to demonstrate tight defence cooperation in the face of threats from Russia and doubts about American security commitments.

Airbus is Germany’s lead contractor for FCAS, while Spanish defence contractor Indra Sistemas is also involved with the roughly 100 billion euro ($118 billion) FCAS project. Merz had previously promised a decision on FCAS by the end of last year but postponed making the final call. Merz said on the podcast that France and Germany were now “at odds over the specifications and profiles” of the kind of aircraft they needed. “The question now is: do we have the strength and the will to build two aircraft for these two different requirement profiles, or only one?” he asked. If this issue is not resolved, he said Germany would “not be able to continue the project,” adding that there were “other countries in Europe” ready to work with Berlin.

For Germany and potentially Spain, several other options have been floated by industry sources and in media reports, most prominently a partnership with Swedish aerospace firm Saab. The FCAS project was launched with fanfare in 2017 by Macron and Germany’s then-chancellor Angela Merkel, with Spain joining two years later. The plan envisions not only a fighter jet but an interlinked drone swarm and a digital cloud system.

German industrial interests and some politicians have bristled at Dassault’s alleged efforts to revise FCAS agreements and take greater control of the aircraft portion of the project. The powerful IG Metall industrial trade union, which represents many Airbus workers in Germany, has joined with German aerospace industry leaders to back a split with France. Juergen Kerner, IG Metall’s vice president, joined German Aerospace Industries Association president Marie-Christine von Hahn last week in urging Berlin to find new partners on the fighter jet.

Building separate jets could make military sense because of France’s very particular requirements, but would almost certainly hike overall costs. Dassault’s CEO, Eric Trappier, has insisted that his company can develop a fighter jet alone. But the costs could put the French government’s already strained budget under further pressure. Germany, on the other hand, has launched a massive military investment programme with vows from Merz to build Europe’s largest conventional armed forces.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: defenseEuropemilitary
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

US tech giants announce India deals at AI summit

Next Post

Glencore still open to ‘mega-miner’ deal after Rio collapse

Natalie Fisher

Natalie Fisher

Related Posts

Business

Greenland entrepreneur gambles on leafy greens

February 17, 2026
Business

Dutch inventor of hit game ‘Kapla’ dead at 80: family

February 16, 2026
Business

US lawmaker moves to shield oil companies from climate cases

February 12, 2026
Business

‘Avatar’ and ‘Assassin’s Creed’ shore up troubled Ubisoft

February 13, 2026
Business

Judge sets Feb 2027 date for Trump’s $10bn lawsuit against BBC

February 12, 2026
Business

Belgian police raid EU commission in real estate probe

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Glencore still open to 'mega-miner' deal after Rio collapse

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

81

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Glencore still open to ‘mega-miner’ deal after Rio collapse

February 18, 2026

Germany’s Merz casts doubt on European fighter jet plan

February 18, 2026

US tech giants announce India deals at AI summit

February 18, 2026

Global stocks rise tracking company earnings, data

February 18, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.