EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Other

Iran Guards warn of war beyond Mideast as Trump repeats threats

Natalie Fisher by Natalie Fisher
May 20, 2026
in Other
Reading Time: 6 mins read
A A
0
19
SHARES
235
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Iran and the United States have exchanged threats while continuing to negotiate for a peace deal. ©AFP

Tehran (AFP) – Iran warned on Wednesday that the Middle East war would spread far beyond the region if the United States and Israel resumed their attacks, after President Donald Trump threatened to strike again unless a deal is reached. A ceasefire on April 8 brought a halt to the conflict, which has roiled the global economy, but with Washington and Tehran seemingly reluctant to resume the fighting, a war of words has taken its place.

Related

Putin, Xi hail ‘unyielding’ ties in talks after Trump visit

Musk’s empire as SpaceX counts down to Wall Street liftoff

War in Middle East: latest developments

New York art auctions roar back with blockbuster sales

Google wants its search bar to act on your behalf in AI revamp

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened Tehran with renewed military action, while Iranian officials have hit back with their own warnings of devastating action. Nevertheless, despite sporadic outbursts of violence, the two countries have continued to take part in diplomatic exchanges, mediated by Pakistan, aimed at bringing a formal end to the war. On Tuesday, US Vice President JD Vance told reporters that “a lot of good progress is being made” and “we’re just going to keep working at it,” even as he told Iran the US military was “locked and loaded.”

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards issued their own threat on Wednesday, saying, “if the aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will this time spread far beyond the region, and our devastating blows will crush you.” “The American-Zionist enemy…must know that despite the offensive carried out against us using the full capabilities of the world’s two most expensive armies, we have not deployed the full power of the Islamic revolution,” the Guards said in a statement on their Sepah News website. Citing Iranian diplomatic sources, official news agency IRNA meanwhile announced a visit to Tehran by Pakistan’s Interior Minister, his second in less than a week.

On Tuesday, Trump insisted the US retained the upper hand and that Iran was desperate for peace. “You know how it is to negotiate with a country where you’re beating them badly. They come to the table, they’re begging to make a deal,” he said. “I hope we don’t have to do the war, but we may have to give them another big hit. I’m not sure yet.” He has previously made similar claims without a deal being concluded.

The US leader is himself under pressure, with rising energy costs beginning to bite at home. While the ceasefire brought a halt to the fighting, it has not reopened the vital Strait of Hormuz, through which a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas usually pass. The future of the waterway is a key sticking point in negotiations, but without a deal, fears are growing for the global economy as pre-war stockpiles of oil are used up.

Rising fuel prices have caused widespread pain, with protests erupting in Kenya, which like many African countries is dependent on imports from the Gulf and where the public transport system has ground to a halt. “It’s unfortunate that we lost four Kenyans in today’s violence, which also saw more than 30 people injured,” Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen told reporters.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: diplomacyIranMiddle East
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

Stellantis signs Europe joint venture with China’s Dongfeng

Natalie Fisher

Natalie Fisher

Related Posts

Other

From graduation boos to voter unease: AI anxiety grows in the US

May 19, 2026
Other

UK trade minister hopes Britain will rejoin EU ‘in my lifetime’

May 19, 2026
Other

French govt slams ‘disproportionate’ Canal+ riposte to anti-Bollore petition

May 19, 2026
Other

EU vows help for farmers hit by Iran war fertiliser price hikes

May 20, 2026
Other

Mango scion released on bail after arrest over father’s death

May 19, 2026
Other

G7 finance ministers vow cooperation to face ‘heightened risks’

May 19, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

97

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Iran Guards warn of war beyond Mideast as Trump repeats threats

May 20, 2026

Stellantis signs Europe joint venture with China’s Dongfeng

May 20, 2026

Samsung, union resume negotiations with minister mediating

May 20, 2026

Indonesia’s Prabowo announces export controls for coal, palm oil

May 20, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.