EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Tech

Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk’s X

Natalie Fisher by Natalie Fisher
May 20, 2026
in Tech
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
0
19
SHARES
237
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

eSafety approached what was then Twitter in February 2023, demanding the company explain how it was tackling the spread of child sexual abuse content. ©AFP

Sydney (AFP) – An Australian federal court upheld on Thursday a fine against Elon Musk’s X for failing to comply with child internet safety regulations, capping a three-year legal fight between the tech giant and Canberra. Under Australian law, internet regulator eSafety can fine firms that do not respond to demands for detailed information on how they are keeping children safe online.

Related

Musk’s SpaceX discloses filing for blockbuster IPO

SpaceX’s IPO moonshot draws some doubters on Wall Street

China market for Nvidia AI chips to open ‘over time’: Huang

Modi oversees semi-conductor deal on Dutch trip

Wordle heads to primetime as media seek puzzle reinvention

eSafety approached what was then Twitter in February 2023, demanding the company explain how it was tackling the spread of child sexual abuse content. The following month, Twitter was merged into Musk’s newly formed X Corp, which was eventually fined for “incomplete” responses to the commission’s repeated requests. A federal court ruled in October 2024 that X was required to respond to the notice, and on Thursday the social media giant was ordered to pay a fine of AU$650,000 (US$464,900).

“A penalty near the maximum is appropriate in the case of the respondent, which is a substantial corporation so that it operates as a real deterrent and is not simply a cost of doing business,” federal Justice Michael Wheelahan said. The Australian government has been at the forefront of global efforts to rein in big tech, including with world-first laws imposed last year banning under-16s from accessing social media platforms such as Instagram and TikTok.

A raft of nations are now reportedly mulling a similar social media crackdown, with documents obtained by AFP showing that Israel, the United Kingdom, Norway, and New Zealand met with Canberra officials after expressing an “interest” in the ban. “Meaningful transparency is critical to holding technology companies to account,” eSafety head Julie Inman Grant said in response to Thursday’s federal court ruling.

“This is not only a key part of our work as Australia’s online safety regulator, it also provides the Australian public with important information about how these companies are tackling the worst-of-the-worst content on their platforms,” she added.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: child protectionElon Muskonline safety
Share8Tweet5Share1Pin2Send
Previous Post

SpaceX, the sprawling company targeting the stars, Mars and an IPO

Next Post

Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes and Samsung union talks

Natalie Fisher

Natalie Fisher

Related Posts

Tech

Chinese tech giant Alibaba posts profit drop amid AI drive

May 13, 2026
Tech

Sam Altman to testify at California tech titan trial

May 12, 2026
Tech

South Korea official floats AI profit social tax as tech giants boom

May 12, 2026
Tech

Microsoft boss ‘proud’ of profit-making OpenAI investment

May 12, 2026
Tech

AI use surges globally but rich-poor divide widens, Microsoft says

May 7, 2026
Tech

Europe’s first commercial robotaxi service rolls out in Croatia

May 5, 2026
Next Post

Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes and Samsung union talks

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

97

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk’s X

May 20, 2026

SpaceX, the sprawling company targeting the stars, Mars and an IPO

May 20, 2026

The world built more coal power in 2025, but used less

May 20, 2026

Musk eyes Wall Street record with SpaceX IPO

May 20, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.