EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Tech

Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk’s X

Natalie Fisher by Natalie Fisher
May 20, 2026
in Tech
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
0
26
SHARES
320
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

eSafety approached what was then Twitter in February 2023, demanding the company explain how it was tackling the spread of child sexual abuse content. ©AFP

Sydney (AFP) – An Australian federal court upheld on Thursday a fine against Elon Musk’s X for failing to comply with child internet safety regulations, capping a three-year legal fight between the tech giant and Canberra. Under Australian law, internet regulator eSafety can fine firms that do not respond to demands for detailed information on how they are keeping children safe online.

Related

OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia

Taiwan says AI agents used in cyberattacks targeting island

Google unveils finder tag, new AI smartphone features

Foxconn posts quarterly profit surge on AI server demand

Spotify to launch badge identifying AI music

eSafety approached what was then Twitter in February 2023, demanding the company explain how it was tackling the spread of child sexual abuse content. The following month, Twitter was merged into Musk’s newly formed X Corp, which was eventually fined for “incomplete” responses to the commission’s repeated requests. A federal court ruled in October 2024 that X was required to respond to the notice, and on Thursday the social media giant was ordered to pay a fine of AU$650,000 (US$464,900).

“A penalty near the maximum is appropriate in the case of the respondent, which is a substantial corporation so that it operates as a real deterrent and is not simply a cost of doing business,” federal Justice Michael Wheelahan said. The Australian government has been at the forefront of global efforts to rein in big tech, including with world-first laws imposed last year banning under-16s from accessing social media platforms such as Instagram and TikTok.

A raft of nations are now reportedly mulling a similar social media crackdown, with documents obtained by AFP showing that Israel, the United Kingdom, Norway, and New Zealand met with Canberra officials after expressing an “interest” in the ban. “Meaningful transparency is critical to holding technology companies to account,” eSafety head Julie Inman Grant said in response to Thursday’s federal court ruling.

“This is not only a key part of our work as Australia’s online safety regulator, it also provides the Australian public with important information about how these companies are tackling the worst-of-the-worst content on their platforms,” she added.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: child protectionElon Muskonline safety
Share10Tweet7Share2Pin2Send
Previous Post

SpaceX, the sprawling company targeting the stars, Mars and an IPO

Next Post

Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes, Samsung union talks

Natalie Fisher

Natalie Fisher

Related Posts

Tech

Hong Kong’s tech index plans expansion with AI and robotics themes

August 11, 2026
Tech

Boeing to divest tech ventures for stake in air-taxi startup

August 10, 2026
Tech

Meta will soon face another high-stakes trial in US

August 10, 2026
Tech

Amazon behind massive private gas plant for new data centers

August 7, 2026
Tech

Baltic startups take aim at deterring Russia on NATO’s eastern flank

August 7, 2026
Tech

Google-parent Alphabet shakes up AI division

August 6, 2026
Next Post

Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes, Samsung union talks

Top UN court to rule on right to strike

Samsung shareholders vow legal action over tentative union deal

Tourists in Thailand plan for coming cuts to visa-free stays

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

103

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Merck and Moderna’s tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial

August 19, 2026

Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields

August 19, 2026

France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths

August 19, 2026

UK media skewered for ‘hounding’ black academic

August 19, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Your Privacy Choices

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2026 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.