EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
EconomyLens.com
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
EconomyLens.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Tech

How to bring Boeing astronauts home? NASA to decide by end of month

Andrew Murphy by Andrew Murphy
August 14, 2024
in Tech
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
0
96
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Barry 'Butch' Wilmore and Sunita 'Suni' Williams were originally scheduled to spend a little more than a week aboard the ISS. ©AFP

Washington (AFP) – NASA needs to decide by the end of August whether to return two astronauts to Earth aboard Boeing’s Starliner, which flew them to the International Space Station (ISS), or bring them home on a rival SpaceX craft, officials said Wednesday. NASA astronauts Barry “Butch” Wilmore and Sunita “Suni” Williams blasted off for the ISS on Starliner on June 5 for what was meant to be an eight-day stay. But their return has been delayed by thruster malfunctions that came to light during the first crewed mission to the ISS by the Boeing spacecraft.

Related

SpaceX’s IPO moonshot draws some doubters on Wall Street

China market for Nvidia AI chips to open ‘over time’: Huang

Modi oversees semi-conductor deal on Dutch trip

Wordle heads to primetime as media seek puzzle reinvention

Chinese tech giant Alibaba posts profit drop amid AI drive

NASA officials, at a press conference on Wednesday, said they were still analysing thruster data, but a decision on whether to use Starliner or SpaceX was looming. “We don’t have a sharp cutoff, right?” said Ken Bowersox, associate administrator of NASA’s Space Operations Mission Directorate. “We can juggle things and make things work if we need to extend. But it’s getting a lot harder,” Bowersox said. “We’re reaching a point where that last week in August we really should be making a call, if not sooner.” He said the two astronauts were “making the best” of their extra time aboard the ISS “but I’m sure they’re eager for a decision, just like the rest of us.”

Bowersox said the main issue is with the propulsion system. “Our big concern is having a successful deorbit burn,” he said. The NASA official said there have been “very honest discussions” with Boeing and the company is “100 percent behind their vehicle.” “They have confidence in their vehicle,” he said.

In the event a decision is made not to use Starliner, Boeing’s rival SpaceX, owned by Elon Musk, could potentially launch their scheduled Crew-9 mission to the ISS on September 24 with just two astronauts rather than the usual four. The Crew Dragon capsule would then be able to return to Earth with Wilmore and Williams in February 2025 — in what would amount to a major embarrassment for aerospace giant Boeing.

NASA chief astronaut Joe Acaba said Wilmore and Williams prepared for the mission knowing that it was a test flight and it “might not be perfect.” “Human space flight is inherently risky and as astronauts we accept that as part of the job,” he said.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: BoeingNASAspace exploration
Share38Tweet24Share7Pin9Send
Previous Post

Mars to acquire Pringles maker Kellanova for nearly $36 bn

Next Post

In volatile election season, US companies battle ‘brand disinformation’

Andrew Murphy

Andrew Murphy

Related Posts

Tech

Sam Altman to testify at California tech titan trial

May 12, 2026
Tech

South Korea official floats AI profit social tax as tech giants boom

May 12, 2026
Tech

Microsoft boss ‘proud’ of profit-making OpenAI investment

May 12, 2026
Tech

AI use surges globally but rich-poor divide widens, Microsoft says

May 7, 2026
Tech

Europe’s first commercial robotaxi service rolls out in Croatia

May 5, 2026
Tech

Pyongyang calling: North Korea shows off own-brand phones

May 5, 2026
Next Post

In volatile election season, US companies battle 'brand disinformation'

Global stocks follow Wall Street climb

China's underwhelming data dampens hope of economic recovery

North Korea tour operators hopeful ahead of country's reopening

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

September 30, 2024

Elon Musk’s X fights Australian watchdog over church stabbing posts

April 21, 2024

Women journalists bear the brunt of cyberbullying

April 22, 2024

France probes TotalEnergies over 2021 Mozambique attack

May 6, 2024

New York ruling deals Trump business a major blow

97

Ghanaian finance ministry warns against fallout from anti-LGBTQ law

74

Shady bleaching jabs fuel health fears, scams in W. Africa

71

Stock markets waver, oil prices edge up

65

Opposition backlash as Macron’s choice gets nod for central bank

May 20, 2026

Airbnb expands into hotels, cars, groceries

May 20, 2026

Ubisoft reports record annual loss after game delays, cancellations

May 20, 2026

Boss of Germany’s Commerzbank cheered as she slams UniCredit advances

May 20, 2026
EconomyLens Logo

We bring the world economy to you. Get the latest news and insights on the global economy, from trade and finance to technology and innovation.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Categories

  • Business
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
© 2025 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Tech
  • Editorials

© 2024 EconomyLens.com - Top economic news from around the world.